Sign in to follow this  

drz125 rm80 fork swap

I decided to scrap the pogo sticks on my daughters drz125. I heard the rm 80 forks bolt right up. I found a set for 150.00 and guess what, they do. Same bearings etc. I put them on the bike to ensure they fit before dropping them off at Factory Connection for a rebuild. The new forks seem to amplify the rake on the drz some as they are about 3.5 " longer than the stockers. I'll probably slide the tubes up in the triple clamps some to tidy things up a bit. How far can I go withou screwing things up? What issues do I need to be concerned with when I do this? Do aftermarket triple clamps work better for this and why? Any advice would be appreciated.

You are usually limited by the handlebars. That means that you will only get 1 to 1.5 inches. If you put on some bar mounts that raise the bars, then you could get more. In the end, it will probably not be enough, and you will have to look into raising the rear end as well.

I just put KX100 Forks and stock KX100 clamps on my DRZ125L. I was able to slide the forks up in the clamps by about 0.85 inches. I can go another 1/8" before the forks hit the handlebars. But you need to make sure the fender doesn't bottom on the front tire. There's only so far up in the clamps you can go, even without hitting the handlebars. I believe Applied Racing make an upper clamp for the KX100 that raises the bars a bit.

By comparing the old forks with the KX 100 forks.. side by side..axle bolts lined up...and KX100 forks on the bike... it appears my clamps are only 1/2" higher than stock. When the forks were as low as possible in the clamps, it definitely felt "chopper-like".. but now it seems ok. Not sure what the half inch will do to turning... have to wait for front caliper bolts to find out.

I plan to work on the rear suspension. Not sure how much can be done with the rear shock but I'll find out soon.

I appreciate you guys input. FYI I spoke with a tech at factory connection and he told me it was possible to shorten them by 2.5 inches. I am going for that approach. Rebuild, revalve and cut em down. I'll lose some travel but they will be much better than stock. For about 400 bucks I'll have brand new FC forks on my daughters DRZ. I got 2001 rm80 forks and they were 3.5" longer than my stock drz forks! I could only slide them up about an inch but I didnt think that looked too clean. Anyway I am waiting for my front rim and caliper and she should be ready to go. :thumbsup:

We need some pics! I would like to do the same and seems like you got it down straight.

I picked up the forks today. The guys at FC are really cool. They are about an inch longer than the stockers. They cut the springs replaced all the seals, basically they are new forks. The 35mm will be sweet in place of the 27's. I stopped off at Pro Circuit today also (I live in Corona Ca.) and picked up a new T4 system. I am looking for some new triple clamps as well, but I would rather do the rear shock first. So far I got the forks for 150.00,rebuild revalve and shorten 200.00, rm 80 wheel with disk 125.00. All I need now is the caliper and master cyclinder and a couple of jets. Somebody help me I think I have lost control! :thumbsup: I'll post pics when it's done. Peace