Radiator Shroud Screw Seized!

Hi guys, I wanted to take the tank off my XRR and one of the radiator shroud screws was seized and I only succeded in spinning the brass insert that's molded into the tank.

Any tips on what I could try to do here, or am I basically screwed (pun intended)?

4Takt

That's why NEVER use Loc-Tite for certain screws...and you found which one!

I'm sorry, I'm trying to think what I would do and it's looking pretty grim...You've been looking to get a bigger tank for awhile now, isn't that right...say yes...well no time like the present.

Have yoe tried slipping a pair of pliers between the tank and the shroud so as to keep thw insert from spinning.I know there isn't a lot of clearance but maybe some needle nose pliers may do the trick or youcould try a crimping tool wich are relatively flat at the points.Good luck.

I'd try an impact driver. If the insert has any grip left it will probably come out. I had a similar problem on an IMS tank. The insert started to turn. I used an impact driver and the screw spun right out without further damaging the insert.

This happens very often with new, zero hour, CRF450R shroud bolts. Try doing a search over in that forum. I remember one guy saying that he stuck the socket on a drill and spun it until the plastic around the insert melted enough to pull it out. He then JB welded the insert back in place as most others do once they get it out and used anti-seize after that. Good Luck!

Hang On!!! You know that you can remove the tank without removing the shroud from the tank, right? My Pig has a seized bolt on the left side.(no thread locker). Just unscrew the bolts that go into the radiator bracket and off with the tank!!! ?

That's why NEVER use Loc-Tite for certain screws...and you found which one!

I'm sorry, I'm trying to think what I would do and it's looking pretty grim...You've been looking to get a bigger tank for awhile now, isn't that right...say yes...well no time like the present.

No Loctite? Au Contraire mon frier. You're wrong, you need to use a low strength Loctite, like a 222 purple low strength, or a 242 blue medium strength.

Most people on planet earth don't know about the different strength threadlockers that should be used on certain applications. You're saying not to use Loctite because you've had bad experience with using a high-strength permenant threadlocker on the wrong application.

The fastener locked up because of one of two things, galvanic corrosion due to the presence of dissimilar metals, and trips to the car wash. Proper use of a threadlocker, the correct strength threadlocker will keep galvanic corrosion from turning into mother natures permenant threadlocker since we're isolating the threads on the bolt, with the threads in the insert in the tank.

Girls and boys, if you think you shouldn't put loctite on most every nut and bolt on our bikes that is subject to possible vibrational loosening, threadlocking from galvanic corrosion, and rust-lock, I've got a lakeside lot to sell you on Arizona Bay.

I work for Loctite, and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express Last Night if you're wondering.

Dirty

Hang On!!! You know that you can remove the tank without removing the shroud from the tank, right? My Pig has a seized bolt on the left side.(no thread locker). Just unscrew the bolts that go into the radiator bracket and off with the tank!!! ?

Exactly my thought.....only the two bottom shroud bolts are attached to the bike.

Yes, I know. I still want to be able to take that screw out. It bugs me and sometimes I switch to a bigger tank.

4Takt

No Loctite? Au Contraire mon frier. You're wrong, you need to use a low strength Loctite, like a 222 purple low strength, or a 242 blue medium strength.

I am aware of the low strength loc-tite, used for carbs and such, I haven't seen any for god knows how long, but I've used it before. There is no way I would use 242 on any non-structural fastners that thread into a rivnut, or molded in insert!