Sign in to follow this  

Street Bike Questions?

Let's say I was in the market for a low-cost, easy to maintain cruiser. I have a few questions concerning some simple options that I don't know much about. What is the "preferred" final drive; chain, shaft, or belt?

Also, what make would be a better choice, Honda Shadow 750, or Yamaha V-Star? The Honda is a 750 (obviously), and the Yamaha is a 650. Will either bike have enough power to drag me and the wife around through the mountains comfortably?

Thanks in advance.

what do you mean by the V-star is a 650?

well anyway......if you plan on taking your wife on alot of trips, then its really important to just take her to the dealership with you so you both can sit on the bikes and see which one is most comfertable for the both of you,plus i think the honda is more for a single rider

what do you mean by the V-star is a 650?

well anyway......if you plan on taking your wife on alot of trips, then its really important to just take her to the dealership with you so you both can sit on the bikes and see which one is most comfertable for the both of you,plus i think the honda is more for a single rider

The Yamaha is a 650 according to the Yamaha website?

Yamaha V-Star Specs

the V-Star 650 requires too much shifting IMHO, Honda's 750 is better but still buzzy at freeway speeds. Both are too small for you and a passenger unless you are 100# each.

Chain drive is ick. Belt is smoother, and shaft is maintenence free, but can be jerky if you don't clutch perfect.

I'd look at either the V-Star 1100 or even the Roadstar, the Honda VTX 1300 or 1800.

Don't let the displacement scare ya, they're all the same when they're moving, worry about the cost. A used bike can save you a ton of money, and if you havn't done so already,take the MSF corse.

I've been riding on the street for 20 years and have logged over 100k miles, so take my advice for what ever value you place on experiance :thumbsup:

the V-Star 650 requires too much shifting IMHO, Honda's 750 is better but still buzzy at freeway speeds. Both are too small for you and a passenger unless you are 100# each.

Chain drive is ick. Belt is smoother, and shaft is maintenence free, but can be jerky if you don't clutch perfect.

I'd look at either the V-Star 1100 or even the Roadstar, the Honda VTX 1300 or 1800.

Don't let the displacement scare ya, they're all the same when they're moving, worry about the cost. A used bike can save you a ton of money, and if you havn't done so already,take the MSF corse.

I've been riding on the street for 20 years and have logged over 100k miles, so take my advice for what ever value you place on experiance :thumbsup:

I definitely appreciate the advice. Most of my riding will be from home to work and back. I work 5 miles from home. I'm sure I'll get an opportunity to take the wife to the mountains every now and then. Price is a fairly big concern. Believe me, the bigger displacement bikes appeal to me but I'm trying to consider price, gas mileage, maintenance costs, etc.

There are 650, 1100, and 1300 versions of the V-star. The 650 will be easier to handle for a newbie but you'll outgrow it quickly and it may not handle two-up very well...

i have been around both the VTX1800 and the warrior 1700, both are great bikes. best lookin jap cruisers IMO. the yammy is better for 2 people though. stock seat on the warrior is super comfortable.

Both my hubby and I rode 2up on his old V-Star 650 Custom and had no problems. It was comfy to me, but I was used to riding 2up. :thumbsup:

I definitely appreciate the advice. Most of my riding will be from home to work and back. I work 5 miles from home. I'm sure I'll get an opportunity to take the wife to the mountains every now and then. Price is a fairly big concern. Believe me, the bigger displacement bikes appeal to me but I'm trying to consider price, gas mileage, maintenance costs, etc.

gas mileage and maintenance costs will be similar across the board, for the most part, the modern bikes have hydraulic self adjusting valves, so the majority of the maintenance is fairly simple for a guy like you -You gave me some great advice on my bikes a wile back, so I know you can make your way around a tool box. Remember to add into that cost, the cost of street gear, helmet, gloves and a jacket can run you up wards of $500. Just keep that in mind.

My two bits of firm advice:

Get the biggest bike you can afford/handle They all weigh the same when they're rolling and buying another one in 8 months because you feel like a gorilla on a tricycle sucks...

Take the MSF course that I linked in the previous post. It can literally save your life.