Sign in to follow this  

Foresthill-TRAIL DESTROYERS on trail-6!!!

Testriding the 98 AF this morning out on trail 6 near Mosquito ridge. Have not been out there in a month or so, and the trails have been destroyed by the quad-idiots donning pick axes!

My riding bud and I came across three quad guys out on trail 6, designated motorcycles, bikes, horses and hikers only. Now, I am not one to usually bitch about someone boonieing out somewhere, but that line is changing when they are swinging pick axes and destroying one of the nicer single tracks and making it in to a flat, dufty, highway.

Both Sharpmarble and I looked at each other after passing the quadidiots, and where just flabergasted. They must have widened the trails 3 fold!!!

They must have destroyed 2 miles of single track. I found where they parked their rigs (jottet plates down) and will be speaking with the Forest Ranger, Jan Cutts, to see if this is cleared through the Forest Service or just some Yahoos making a black diamond trail into a green dot..

Either way, with or without permission, they DESTROYED some nice sections of the trial 6...

(posted this on cr500riders.com also)

Did you ask them if they had permission, or make any contact with them?

Wait, scratch that .......dumb question .....(you would have mentioned it in your post if you had).

You did the right thing by not confronting them and taking down there car info. and passing it on to authorities.

If they had balls enough to take quads and equipment out on a bike only trail they most likely wouldn't have been very receptive to someone telling them they were doing something very illegal.

Post any updates on this.........that is, IF anything is actually done besides a warning. :applause::ride::thumbsup:

Received a few calls back from FS regarding the contact. I looked on a map, and I was incorrect by saying the mosquito ridge road. I think it was the end of Mitchell mine road, south of FH Road, where we saw the trucks and quadidiots donning the trail harvesting tools.

The Placer County dispatch called to see get any further info. They said they had a bunch of folks up that way for the Tevis Cup race, and they would send some of them over that way. I hope they find them and do something...

If nothing gets done by this approach, I will regress on the next encounter. A 18" 952 strapped on the back of the 500AF can throw a mean dust/boulder shower, and is suprisingly accurate...

Wow, that was really showing some restraint not doing or saying something on the spot. Definitly the right thing to do under the circumstances, but if the FS doesn't do anything you're going to be kicking yourself. Too bad you weren't in a larger group, might have given you the opportunity to do something right then and there. :thumbsup:

Okay, this should be about where some quad riding idiot pops off with the "hey, they have just as much right to ride the forest as you do" BS. Never mind the fact that they were on a trail they aren't allowed on, and knowingly destroying it.

I rode 6 last month and there were 2 quads in the same area parked by the creek with no one around and from that point on the trail was widened to quad width. They were both blue Yamahas, maybe the same guys.

I am sorry, but this has finally done it. I Rode with a Guy today and I told Him that I try not to stereotype Quad Riders, wait let me check that Quad Drivers. This is why I do stereotype them, yes a Quad can be an effective Utility vehicle, but it has no place on anything that resembles Single Track.

The War is beginning, and the Quads will loose.

What the Hell am I saying, they will do nothing about this except blame all OHV Users and close areas down. That is the real shame, Dirt Bike Riders will suffer the wrath of the Government only because a bunch of F'N Idiots that can't find the skills to Ride a Dirt Bike and choose to Drive their Quads. They Drive those Quads into areas that are clearly marked NO NON RIDING IDIOTS, NO DRIVERS ALLOWED.

Well that is my 2 cents, I have to say that this Post really PISSED ME OFF.

What is next do we have to have a Vigilante Riding Group to protect our Riding areas??

Wow, that was really showing some restraint not doing or saying something on the spot. Definitly the right thing to do under the circumstances, but if the FS doesn't do anything you're going to be kicking yourself. Too bad you weren't in a larger group, might have given you the opportunity to do something right then and there. :thumbsup:

Okay, this should be about where some quad riding idiot pops off with the "hey, they have just as much right to ride the forest as you do" BS. Never mind the fact that they were on a trail they aren't allowed on, and knowingly destroying it.

OD Yes they do have just as much of a right to Ride , I mean Drive the forest, but only where they are authorized. The problem these Fools have is that they fail to understand that their Tractors have a seriously derogatory effect on that forest.

But the real problem is that they just do not care.

"There are to many people in the Staging area," lets go out and flatten another place and do our donuts there. That must be what they are saying to each other.

It sucks big time. I have heard so many stories about Great Trails, that because of these Fools I may never have the chance to Ride. That is what really gets me.

:applause: So what's the solution? Driving by these guys without confronting the problem is not going to solve anything. It simply gives them a feeling of satisfaction and confirmation that what they are doing is ok.

Complaining about it here is a start I guess. :thumbsup:

You have to solve your problems head on. I'm not suggesting anything other than talking to these Bozos. Let them know it's illegal. It's ruining our shared riding area. You don't have to get physical. Don't bring guns, threats or violence to the problem. :applause:

Just stop your bike and talk to these guys. Tell them how you feel. Don't ignore the situation. That is just making things worse. :applause:

I have simply ridden past these fellas in the past. They've broken down fences at Georgetown, ridden illegally at Elkins Flat, now they're ruining Foresthill. It's going to continue unless we bring it to their attention, right now, when it's happening. I will no longer just ride past.

Can you blame folks that want to keep things SSS? :ride:

Scott, will you please Wake Up. Do you think that these idiots did not know they were wrong?? They are on a Trail that their F'N Tractor will not fit. So taking out a Pick Axe and making the Trail wider seems like a good idea. How can they justify that?? Like I said I did all that I could to placate these Quad IDIOTS, and now I am done. They are from now on Persona non Grata.

Slyco, you say that we should stop and say, Hey that is wrong. :thumbsup:

I say we stop with a little Fire Power and let it be known that we as Riders will not tolerate this SH!t. I am sorry but this has been going on for long enough. The time now should be to make this Sh!t stop.

I lay the vast majority of the blame at Polaris's feet-they were the first to manufacture an easy to ride, four wheeled lazy boy. These machines are cheap, readily available, and require very little skill to "drive" into areas that once required a high level of skill or sweat to traverse.

But I have other beef's with Polaris Industries-they had a local farmers property condemned by the city of Wyoming MN, and when the farmer ran out of legal funding to fight the battle, took the land and paid him 1/10th of the market value, uprooting his operation and family. Then they went on to get the county highway closed that ran on the property line claiming "R&D security" so now what was once a 10 minute drive, takes about 25 to go from the same point A to B.

Sadly, since the Polaris-KTM partnership, I have removed a KTM from my wish list, as I will do $0 of business with Polaris or any of its partners when I can help it.

Let us know what the FS Ranger does about this, this is unacceptable, and if the Forest Ranger won't get anything done, bark higher up the ladder.

:ride: So what's the solution? Driving by these guys without confronting the problem is not going to solve anything. It simply gives them a feeling of satisfaction and confirmation that what they are doing is ok.

You have to solve your problems head on. I'm not suggesting anything other than talking to these Bozos. Let them know it's illegal. It's ruining our shared riding area. You don't have to get physical. Don't bring guns, threats or violence to the problem. :applause:

Just stop your bike and talk to these guys. Tell them how you feel. Don't ignore the situation. That is just making things worse. :applause:

I've tried to talk to some of these assclowns several times at Elkins, and all I've ever gotten in response is smartass BS replies from them. This was definitly not one of those cases where someone was unaware of what they were doing, and in a situation like that there is always the possibility of a confrontation becoming physical, and that would look bad for all of us.

Hopefully the FS will do something about it. With license plate #s they have a very good place to start a real investigation, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I always carry a knife while riding. But, don't bring a knife to a pick axe fight. Bring a knife to a tire fight. :thumbsup: Makes for a long day when you have to find an extra spare after F'ing up single track. You did the right thing by not confronting them. Too many wack jobs out there, and 911 don't work in the woods. I have had it with quad "drivers". I hope the FS does something. Keep us posted.

:applause: So what's the solution? Driving by these guys without confronting the problem is not going to solve anything. It simply gives them a feeling of satisfaction and confirmation that what they are doing is ok.

I have simply ridden past these fellas in the past. They've broken down fences at Georgetown, ridden illegally at Elkins Flat, now they're ruining Foresthill. It's going to continue unless we bring it to their attention, right now, when it's happening. I will no longer just ride past.

Can you blame folks that want to keep things SSS? :ride:

Regarding your quote above Scott. I have ridden with you before, and I have no problem stoppinig and saying what is on my mind to armed or unarmed idiots in the trail. But on Saturday morning, The Sharpmarble and I were just cruising along, and then, all of a sudden we see two guys on quads down in an area we have never seen before on 6. We both were spread out about a minute apart for the dust.

I did not think much of it at first, rode about a 1/2 mile up the newly widened freeway, and then, like a lightning bolt it hit me. Are these Forest Service folks? Are they part of a riding group with permission?

All the way up the grade, same questions going through my head as I negotiate the now dufty 5 foot wide trail that was once 1 to 2 feet wide.

When I reached the top of the grade and saw three unmarked citizens pickups with tools in the back, I sat, pondered... and then stewed. Sharpmarble came up on me and we discussed the best thing to do in this situation.

A. Roost the trucks with boulders from the 18" tires (maybe 10 years ago).

B. Take down license plates and call authorities that are armed and are being paid to deal with idiots.

I did not ponder the "go back and take the idiots on" mentality. If I had a sharper brain, maybe the synapses would have opened and closed a few more times as I was down near the quads to ask the guys what they were doing, but I really was not thinking about it at the time. I was into the flow of the trail and enjoying the morning ride.

Needless to say, the rest of our ride out was clouded by the thought of someone ruining our trail 6.

I called the authorities and received many telephone calls about how they were trying to locate the subjects. I will follow up with Jan Cutts tomorrow before work and give an update.

HEARD em up like Sheep and Run em over a cliff....Kinda easy......... :thumbsup:~

wow, that is terrrible. i think we really need to be proactive with this. maybe we should head back up there this weekend and see if they are back at it. if so, we could then hold the sheriff's hand, meet him/her at the main road, and take them to the the trucks. no vigilante justice, but making sure that law enforcement is acting in our best interests.

I was up at my local singletrack heaven this weekend and saw quad tracks on several trails.

In the past I didnt understand all of the hating on quads.....now I do.

I have one telephone call into the ranger station (530-367-2224). I will update with any further info regarding quadidiots.

I agree with the above post about going back out there this weekend. I live up here and will take a few rides out off the Mitchell mine road to see if the yahoos return.

chckn,

Hated to read this, for sure. Obviously there were a slew of options to pick from, but you did the only thing a law abiding citizen can really do. I've confronted guys like this at Elkins and GT, riding the trails...never reworking them. I usually get an "I didn't know", and I can see how that could happen on some trails that aren't well marked. But reworking the trail is another thing entirely.

Unless the USFS really steps up enforcement, I think the only way to keep single track single is to route/reroute certain sections of trail so they are really, really tight and technical. Sort of like what you might expect in an enduro special test. Unfortunately, some places don't lend themselves to that sort of thing...which may mean you have to create those obstacles to protect the trail.

I think a good idea is to start riding with a disposable camera. Take pictures of the people destroying the trails and turn them in to the forest service as evidence.

It also can be a preventitive measure if the quad tards know that at any time, they're picture can be taken when they're doing something their not s'posed to.

And it makes good quad bashing talk on TT if you post the pics.