Sign in to follow this  

Tires for Trans American Trail?

I plan on going from Mississippi to Oklahoma/Colorado on a DRZ400S. I need new tires and wanted some help deciding on which tires would be best? Please be specific. Thanks :thumbsup:

MT21 one the rear and either the same on the front or the MT16. I have only ridden the MT21s but next in line is the MT16 because so many people recommended it to me.

The 21s last a long time on the dirt and are far from perfect. They are a useful balance between traction and longevity.

Haven't ridden the TA yet, but the last time I went to Baja, I put on a new Kenda K-270 on my XR600. At the end of over 1000 miles of riding, the 270 was in much better condition than the rears on the other five bikes, they were running Michelin M-12s and Pirelli MT-16s.

If it will fit,the Michelin desert is a great tire.I ran 2300 miles of the TAT last August and this tire performed perfectly.This is really the only tire to use.Team KTM uses this tire for Dakar.Great in sand and hard pack,5 ply tread ,4 ply sidewall.

The kenda 270 is the best tire for that ride. At $35, it's about 1/4 the cost of the michelin desert....and wears better on the street

Last October My buddy and I rode South through Arkansas to the Louisiana border and then North through Mississippi and Alabama to pick up the Trans Am trail just south of Nashville. We rode the Trans Am to the Oklahoma border, about 2,000 miles. We were riding XL250s with Cheng Shin C858 Dual Sport tires. These are rated 50% on and 50% off road which is about what you will be riding. At other times we've ridden the Oklahoma and the Southwestern Colorado sections and the Colorado part is the most off road portion you'll encounter. The Cheng Shins work well and are cheaper than dirt. A set will cost you about a hundred bucks. What ever you choose will be toast by the time you finish your ride so I vote for the disposable ones.