Sign in to follow this  

97 xr400r, died at speed(about 80mph) help?

I was cruising on the xr400r(sportsman tires, fun stuff) on 280 and my bike died for a quick second at 4/5th/full throttle sprint. Now I've done 30minute long 3/4ths throttle runs back and forth in the bay area and had not a complaint from the bike. The tank is full with 91octance, fuel filter is clean and the bikes carburator is adjusted as best as I can get it. Gordons mods are done and I removed the baffle(rejetted too). Bike has about 1100 miles on it.

Oh and whats the best method of checking oil.. after the sprint and the bikes quick death I released the clutch and it started right back up. I checked the oil and it was all over the dipstick so I wiped it and stuck it back in and oil never seems to touch it even when I fill it. Is it possible valves are badly adjusted and the bike is eating oil?

I would check for spark first. An engine stopping and then starting right back up can easily be a lose connection or even a rusted connection.

Paul.

Rev-limiter?

I was cruising on the xr400r(sportsman tires, fun stuff) on 280 and my bike died for a quick second at 4/5th/full throttle sprint. Now I've done 30minute long 3/4ths throttle runs back and forth in the bay area and had not a complaint from the bike. The tank is full with 91octance, fuel filter is clean and the bikes carburator is adjusted as best as I can get it. Gordons mods are done and I removed the baffle(rejetted too). Bike has about 1100 miles on it.

Oh and whats the best method of checking oil.. after the sprint and the bikes quick death I released the clutch and it started right back up. I checked the oil and it was all over the dipstick so I wiped it and stuck it back in and oil never seems to touch it even when I fill it. Is it possible valves are badly adjusted and the bike is eating oil?

Mine did that once. Scared the heck out of me, I thought my engine was blowing up. Quick stab at the clutch and it went right back to normal, and its never done it again. Even when ripping along at nearly top speed (~70mph at my gearing). I dont know what it was, but I wanted to post and say that youre not the only one :thumbsup: