Sign in to follow this  

EC300 or CR500AF

For months and months I have been reading this and other forums trying to learn as much as possible about the EC300 and CR500. I noticed that at least one member here has both minus the AF. I have taken a short little spin on a 01 EC300 but have never ridden a cr500.

I currently own a xr650r which I really don't want to sell as it dualsports so very well.

I used to own a mid 80s yz465 which was a great bike with no suspension. I miss that 2 stroke powerband.

This is what I am looking for. A bike with some real kick but is also great on tight trails, rocks roots, and more technical types of riding. I like to go to Hatfield McCoy and have trouble on some of the super technical trails with my piggy. I have read other places and on other forums that the cr500af is the dream bike as it combines a light maneuverable frame with a beast of a motor that can be controlled (3 stroked) with proper flywheel weights. Don't know much about the cr250 chasis though.

Both bikes sound like great options I would just like to hear all opinions but most helpful would be from those handful who have ridden both.

Thanks

Tim

www.cr500riders.com is the best place to find out about cr500's and AF's. I've never riden a CR500, but I know a lot depends on the year of the engine. 80's had pretty abrupt power and 90's was a lot smoother and manageable.

I have riden a ktm 300 and it should be similar to the EC300. Great power, easy to ride slow as well as fast. I rode it on some smooth easy singletrack, I'm sure it would be awesome on tighter stuff except it needed some suspension tuning. I think Gas Gas's have better suspension out of the box.

Yeah i've read for months over at cr500riders.com...they are pretty high on the 500af...in fact if that site didn't exist I would not be wondering how they compare...I would just buy the ec300.

Are they completely different machines designed for different types of riding? (I've read many people who seem to like them for the tight technical stuff, even a lady) Is this Apples vs. Oranges?

In a straight line race would they be close...I know the 300 gives up some cc's but it is lighter and a more modern engine.

I suppose I am wanting the bike that doesn't exist a bike that can scream when needed popping wheelies in any gear but can also tame the gnarly tight stuff in a controlled manner.

Thanks for the reply.

Luka a sweet running cr500 will blow the doors off the 300 IF IT CAN PUT IT DOWN TO THE GROUND AND EVEN WHERE IT IS TRICKY IT MAY BE FASTER

I have a slightly modified cr500 that nothin' modern on the planet can run with,

There may be a kx500 or KTM 550/500 that might spank it but these are older more explosive than the modern bikes,times have changed Luka and smoother is faster.

Whatever you choose will be a blast but the 500 is faster if that is your main criteria.

i got a 02 gasgas ec300.it has a 4 speed tranny in it.its got plenty of low end torqe.and is very fast.kick azz susp. it never bogs out and is very snappy throughthe whole power band.it will lift up in all 4 gears of course i ownly weigh 155lbs.i do more trail riding than anything

......Are they completely different machines designed for different types of riding? (I've read many people who seem to like them for the tight technical stuff, even a lady) Is this Apples vs. Oranges?.......

Yes they are.

I have riden GasGas 300s und CR 500 as MX bike ( i don´t think that the AF engine is much different)

For tight technical stuff in the woods and so on go for the GasGas

For open tracks where you can open the throttle more than some seconds go for the Honda

Twinshocker

The Cr500af is simply a cr500 motor stuffed into an aluminum framed cr250.

I am not looking for a mx bike but simply a trail bike that can tractor up the tight gnarly, rocky root infested trails as well as roost on the straights.

Does the AF cr 250 make an allright trail bike stock or is it pretty much set up for mxing?

Tim

Have both the CR500 minus the AF and the EC300, the EC300 is the ultimate trail bike on tight gnarly trails, plenty of acceleration on the straights. One huge advantage is you will have 5 times the life of the rear tire on the GG over the 500. Plus on the GG, the trans gearing is lower in 1st gear and youll have the 6th gear for top speed !

I imagine the CR250 would be great with a flywheel weight, I think there was a recent discussion on the Honda 2 stroke forum on which year CR250 AF is best for trails. Good luck with your decision !

I have owned and competed off-road on a cr500 (and kx500.cr480,etc)and now own a EC 300.For the technical trails the Ec 300 is an unfair advantage!This is the best big bore motor for varied off-road condition's;bar-none!When I'm tired and maybe not so sharp on my line choice this bike excels.No it doesn't have the brute force of a 500cc but thats the beauty of it-its crawls me through anything but yet when the trail opens up it will scream with authority.I might add that I added the biggest flywheel weight to tame it down a little on low end snap and plan to add the two stage ignition switch (rain/sun)for when the need/whim arises.My first gas gas and so far I'm totally impressed!!!

If your concerned with how the 500AF will handle in the woods, in tight technical areas, don't be. Slap a flywheel weight on it and ride it a gear higher than you think you should. What does the 300 weigh? The 500AF is 213.7 dry. Pretty light mount and very capable in the tight stuff.

Chris

I dunno how much GG's run but the CR500AF is like 8000 if I remember correctly but if you want speed go with the 500 I once saw a desert race on TV a long time ago and the helicopter(just a little 2 seater but still) couldn't keep up with a guy on a cr500 that was out front

I have a 14 ounce flywheel weight on my cr500(not an AF) and this makes it the most versatile off road bike i have ever owner,having said this i believe the GG would be in most situations a more useable bike but the 5 hundy has the economy size can o' whip ass to back it up.