Sign in to follow this  

Cam chain guide problem

Should the front (longer) cam chain guide be a tight fit against the chain/cam pulley.

When fitting the exhaust cam I have to push the guide over to sit the cam in its journals - feels like it wants to spring back.

With the cam out the guide sits about 15mm away from the front of the casting and doesn't move about like the rear one does with the mcct out.

The engine came apart around seven or eight weeks ago so can't remember if its meant to be like this or not.

the front cam chain guide sits in a bottom mount and a top mount. If you look down the front of the hole where the head meets the cylinder (may have to take out both cams to get enough slack in the chain-dont remember) you'll see a notch into which the top fits. The bottom fits in to a similar notch at the bottom behind the p-nut. You shouldn't be able to move it at all, it is fixed, the rear one should move forward to take up slack and rearward until it hits the tensioner.

I took the cams out (more than a few times!) while setting the shims and couldn't see the locator for the top, its in at the bottom.

Should it be hard on the chain/pulley when in place - its almost as if it's being bent slightly when the cam goes in.

Do I have to take the barrel back off to get it out if it's wrong?

no should not be hard against the gear (you mean the camshaft drive gear not the one at the bottom, right?). You need to take the head off to insert the pegs into the notch. If you have the valve cover off and the cam out, pull up straight and slightly forward and it will come right out if its not in the notch at the top. The bottom sits into a seat, not fixed by anything else.

Yeah, I've just looked at the cylinder on the Ron Ayers fiche and I can see what you mean. :thumbsup:

So when the head is on, it covers the two slots and stops the guide from being pulled out.

Is there no way you could twist it into place so I don't have to pull the head?

Yeah, I've just looked at the cylinder on the Ron Ayers fiche and I can see what you mean. :thumbsup:

So when the head is on, it covers the two slots and stops the guide from being pulled out.

Is there no way you could twist it into place so I don't have to pull the head?

that's something I would try :ride:

dont think it will work though.