Sign in to follow this  

Baja Gear

A friend and I are putting together a trip to do the Baja 1000. Was looking for suggestions or information for the following: GPS, radio and Personal Locator Beacon.

Specifically, looking for something that would provide most bang for the buck (functionality), remain operational (dependable), take a beating, size, integration of two or more of those items (all-in-one). Thanks for the help.

A friend and I are putting together a trip to do the Baja 1000. Was looking for suggestions or information for the following: GPS, radio and Personal Locator Beacon.

Specifically, looking for something that would provide most bang for the buck (functionality), remain operational (dependable), take a beating, size, integration of two or more of those items (all-in-one). Thanks for the help.

Tom had good advice as most "racers" don't look over here in this forum... however, a "good luck" is in order as you'll soon see "take a beating" and "all in one" won't go hand in hand... or 'most bang for the buck' will certainly go out the window. :applause:

From my little experience, we used a bike mounted GPS (Garmin 60CSx - hardwired to battery on a RAM mount), and our two-way radios (Yaesu VX170 "waterproof") were mounted to us (on our chest protector in a marine holder).

I've only seen locator beacons for boats... so I'm super limited there. :ride: ...and not sure you'd really need one unless you plan on being really lost or riding solo with little to no chase support.

good luck. :thumbsup:

JAT, he's talking about doing the 1000 in '08, see http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403120&parentpage=2

you'll soon see "take a beating" and "all in one" won't go hand in hand... or 'most bang for the buck' will certainly go out the window.
You got that right!
I've only seen locator beacons for boats... so I'm super limited there. ...and not sure you'd really need one unless you plan on being really lost or riding solo with little to no chase support.
I think he's thinking along the lines of Africa type equipment.

But an 07 Husky out here and have it build and broken in before you arrive. Have the chain, tires, lights and suspension done to your liking. Fly out, rent a Baja truck from Hertz or one of the Baja rental companies here in San Diego. Do the race and take Husqvarna pits every 50 miles.

Then have your bike shipped back from La Paz, picked up at the border and then crated and flown back to your home. All in about 2-3 weeks after the race has ended. Very simple and you own the bike when the race is over. To show off to your friends back east that you completed the longest off road race in North America.

Take a small garmin if need be (Team Honda uses a trick little one that has a giant arrow on its screen) and some race radios for you and the truck to stay in contact with the weatherman and each other at times. Book a motel now nearby Ensenada and another in La Paz (hurry, they are all getting full quickly). Steny

From my little experience, we used a bike mounted GPS (Garmin 60CSx - hardwired to battery on a RAM mount), and our two-way radios (Yaesu VX170 "waterproof") were mounted to us (on our chest protector in a marine holder).

Johnny,

Does that VX170 work well on the bike? What brand of earpiece/microphone do you like? I have a VX150, which is a bit older and larger, and it is an outstanding, tough as nails little radio.

Also, are there specific frequencies that riders use down there, or are you just operating somewhere in the ham band, or the marine band?

Thanks! Oh, and sorry to hijack the thread!!!

Check out SCORE's website about a month before the race and you can download the course map & GPS route.

Johnny,

Does that VX170 work well on the bike? What brand of earpiece/microphone do you like? I have a VX150, which is a bit older and larger, and it is an outstanding, tough as nails little radio.

Also, are there specific frequencies that riders use down there, or are you just operating somewhere in the ham band, or the marine band?

Thanks! Oh, and sorry to hijack the thread!!!

BajaDesigns Headset, and yes... some even register their freq. PM me with your email to not hijack .... :thumbsup: