Sign in to follow this  

sprockets

ok so im not too happy with the gearing on my 05 crf450x, i usually ride on a dry lake bed, and dirt roads. i like to go somewhat fast, but any way my top speed is about 80mph.....starts to cut out. it sounds like its whining out even at 65-70mph, while holding throttle at 3/4 - 7/8. ok so, i want to be able to do 60-65 at 1/2 throttle (this is all in 5th gear by the way). stock the sprockets are 13-51. would making the front a 14 do it??? and i dont want to loose much bottom end... i dont know what to do, anything would help.

thanks a lot

brian

Ive dropped the rear down to 49 on mine, have`nt a clue what kind of speed its doing but there`s still loads of bottom end there

49 with the stock front will push a little over 100mph. I had mine up to 80+ with the stock gearing and over 90 with a 50 in the back

Over 100 Shady? Damn, you got rockets strapped to that thing? Stock, mine will maybe get to 75 wide open. 1 tooth in the back is not going to make more than 1 or 2 mph difference.

hmm, i was wound out on pavement when i hit 85 with the stock sprocket. A solid 90 with the 50, so i would imagine close to 100 with a 49. But let it be known. These tires arent balanced and anything over 70 is shady at best

not sure about top speed but I can say that 1 tooth in the front makes much more of a difference than 1 tooth in the rear.

You can go here to input all the data to find out the truth.

go to the "gearing calculator" on the page

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/

hmm, i was wound out on pavement when i hit 85 with the stock sprocket. A solid 90 with the 50, so i would imagine close to 100 with a 49. But let it be known. These tires arent balanced and anything over 70 is shady at best

100? I don't think so. I have a 49 rear on mine. I think 90 +/- is about tops with that gearing. There is no way I can hit 100. I clocked against a KTM with a speedometer. I passed the KTM when it was doing 85. But, I was just easing past him and I was flat out - probably doing about 90.

1 in front = 3 in back

On the X its 4 teeth not 3, do the math.

I have always heard that going up one in the front is like going down 2 in the back.

I run 13/49 and it is a nice setup.

You can use a differential equation to solve these sprocket dilemma's:

If you have a 14 front and want to go to a 13, and wonder what you would have to do to get the same result if you changed the rear instead:

13/14= 51/X

X= unknown rear sprocket size

cross multiply 14X51=714

13X=714 solve for X

714/13=54.92

you would need a 54.92 rear=55 teeth

Or you can just use a chart!

I changed from a 14 to 13 at KM, it was like adding 4 teeth to the rear:

It made all the difference in the world......

And that ladies is Alegebra 101 for today.......

But you make up for it with your good looks....Hehehe

13/49 is half way to a 14 front-you have a 13.5 front if the rear was a 51

I have two 05' X's. I just changed the rears to 48's. Left stock counter whatever that is. Better on top end but still could use some more. It would make the street riding a little better. Obviously I am doing more trails than street riding. Anyone have an idea of how much more I can change the front or back to gain more top end without losing critical climbing ability?

That depends on what you think is "critical climbing ability. You are almost the same as a 14 front, 13 is stock. If you go to 14 front, you would be fairly tall in 1st gear.

13 / 48 will get you to 90 mph. Thats a 6.2 % increase in speed over the stock gearing of 13/51.

Just try a 14 front. They're dirt cheap and easy to install. You'll probally like it. If not, put the 13 back on and go 49 rear. Problem solved!!