Sign in to follow this  

Do you need 17s for supermotard?

Was thinking of supermotarding my DR, but the cost of 17's makes it not worth it. Couldnt I just a regular motorcycle tire for supermotarding. I know it wont perform as well, but itll still be fun?

In motard racing that's usually called Sportsman, and YES it can be just as fun. I would recommend, at a minimum, getting an oversized dirt rotor for the front if you really think your going to be doing speed runs. You can do it for the street as well, just as much fun.

Avon Distenezas seem to be a nice sportsman tire.

Get the 320 rotor kit , steel lines and hh or equivalent pads. You can use the stock tires till you wear them out cause they work amazingly well. Nothing is more fun then blowing by open class sporty bikes in the tight stuff with a stock skinny tired DRZ!

Although I know in the end I will have to get 17"s I did look into this very subject. I spent a good part of my day today trying to find the ultimate 18"/21" tube type street setup. It's unfortunately slim pickens. So far what I think might be the best bet is Bridgestone BT45s. They make a tube type in the stock wheel sizes but they are not common. You can always run a tube in the regular BT45s but I have not tried it .

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Street_2005/default.asp?p=149&s=2

The Avons Distanzias look good as well and are a dual sport tire with street bias.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Street_2005/default.asp?p=173&s=2

Pirelli has the MT 90 AT and for extra street cred you can go with the MT 90 ST front ( not tube type though)

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Street_2005/default.asp?p2=1388&s=2&p=165

Minimum gofast streetbits:

36320mm-Rotor-web.jpg

My kid on Streets of Willow. His first track day on the bone stock DRZS:

36Bryce-web.jpg

Ditton on the recomendation for the EBC 320 kit. The stock brakes are far too wussy for serious pavement play.

And I'll add another tire combo to the mix. Avon Roadrunner 90/90-21 front and Super Venom 120/80-18 rear. Got a set on my own DR350 and they stick really nicely when leaned but the rear can be locked up with a forward weight shift nicely to allow the rear to loosen up for backing it in styles.

Do you have a DRZ400 or a DR650?

I dont think there is a 320 brake kit for the DR650. Not without at least some minor fabrication. The stock rotor isn't that bad. Not as small as most real dirtbikes. I think its a 290. But the steel brake lines aren't a bad idea. Thats probably the next project for mine. I rode my bike for about a year with the stock wheels. I don't ever do any real off roading just dirt roads, so the 17 inch wheels were worth it to me. Makes a huge difference but yes they are expensive.