Sign in to follow this  

1997 kx250 advice

im thinkin bout gettin a 97 kx250 (learner bike stead of beatin up a new one, gettin sweet price deal too) i tried it out and man! thats some power!

its got moose handguards. fmf fatty w/ turbine core2

im comin offa ttr125le im 5'7'' 160lbs...so is this a good bike 4 me?

also it hasnt been ridden much its in great condition and runs awesome

i have the 95. pretty much the same bike. its got power for sure. plus i got it with all the off-road goodies you could want for 1.6k.

i was in the same boat as you too. first bike (comming off many quads), why kill a new one when these powerful 2-strokes are goin for so cheap?

i say go for it dude.

from a ttr125 to a 250 is a big jump. only rode a 1997 kx250 once, but it was port&polished. i have a 1998 kx250 and from what i hear is that the motor is alot differnet than 97, but my bike is a screamer.

i would go for it, but just go slow at first, you gotta walk before you can crawl.

I would go for it, you are a bit short so you may not be super comfortable but as far as the power you will get use to it.

im thinkin bout gettin a 97 kx250 (learner bike stead of beatin up a new one, gettin sweet price deal too) i tried it out and man! thats some power!

its got moose handguards. fmf fatty w/ turbine core2

im comin offa ttr125le im 5'7'' 160lbs...so is this a good bike 4 me?

No.

You should step up to a 125 MX'r first. You are going to get SERIOUSLY hurt on a KX250. I've seen this very scenario MANY times, and it always ends up in a trip to the hospital, and broken bones.

The 97 and 98 are very similar motors. I had a 98 and still have a 2003. Been riding 250 mx bikes off road since 87. Most recent 06 YZ 250. 98 KX was probably the best offroad motor for me. If you find the moto is too much you can put a shim washer or two in the power valve governor which will really mellow it out. Then when you learn to ride it and want more power just remove it. I have done this for two beginners on CR 250's and it has worked well. I encouraged them to get the 250's because you want the torque when you are learning. I also say get the heaviest flywheel weight you can find. Two things you will have to adapt to - Strong off idle response can still get away from you and secondly 1st gear is high if you ride alot of tight/stop and go trail. If you are moving you never need 1st because of the torque. In general ride them in the highest gear possible. For all them money you will save buying a used 250 mx bike you could always get a Rekluse which will solve the 1st gear problem completely. Hear I go recommending you spend money on something that you are buying because it is cheap:)

It all depends on what you have between your ears. The bike is only as fast as the person on it. If you respect it, know what it can do and know what you can handle and take your time getting to learn and the feel for the bike it will be ok. Maybe get a flywheel weight to somewhat "tame" the power. Again RESPECT is the key....going from a play bike to a big race bike is a big jump and will hurt you if you don't watch it....HAVE FUN!!!! :thumbsup::ride:

Sounds like a pretty good choice...but if you're coming off of a ttr125 it's going to be a lot different. But I've ridden a kx250 too and they are a lot of fun. Good luck!

well in my case i road my friends xr100 in a feild for 2 hours and bought a kx250. and im still kicken. i love the thing. i think the 10oz FFW and my 200lb 6'1 fraim probably helps. also i had about 6 yearts of quad experiance, but as we know quads r different.

from a ttr125 to a 250 is a big jump. only rode a 1997 kx250 once, but it was port&polished. i have a 1998 kx250 and from what i hear is that the motor is alot differnet than 97, but my bike is a screamer.

i would go for it, but just go slow at first, you gotta walk before you can crawl.

Isn't you gotta learn to crawl before you can walk??? :thumbsup:

Also I say go for the 250, I came of an xr100 last year and went to a kdx200. So just be careful but your going to love it.

No.

You should step up to a 125 MX'r first. You are going to get SERIOUSLY hurt on a KX250. I've seen this very scenario MANY times, and it always ends up in a trip to the hospital, and broken bones.

Hes right DONT DO IT YOU WILL GET HURT.

this is not true. If you are a stupid kid who likes to go fast then yes get a 125 and you will still get hurt anyway. If you respect the bike and arent always jamming on the throttle then a kx250 would be fine for you. Most people dont make a jump that big. First you need to see if you can fit on the bike, if you can go for it. At 5'10 i have a hard time standing well on my kdx and 250's are the same height. If you think you wont be stupid and that you will learn to ride well before you ride fast then you have nothing to worry about.

this is not true. If you are a stupid kid who likes to go fast then yes get a 125 and you will still get hurt anyway. If you respect the bike and arent always jamming on the throttle then a kx250 would be fine for you. Most people dont make a jump that big. First you need to see if you can fit on the bike, if you can go for it. At 5'10 i have a hard time standing well on my kdx and 250's are the same height. If you think you wont be stupid and that you will learn to ride well before you ride fast then you have nothing to worry about.

There is a LOT more to safely piloting a KX250 than "fitting on the bike". 99% of 15 year old teens, do NOT fully realize (nor do they care) about the brutal nature of a 250 cc. MX bike. There is no way coming fresh off a TTR125, then jumping on a KX250 is going to be a smooth transition. Sorry for my attitude, but like i've said, i've seen FAR too many kids get busted up BAD from the "god complex" when it comes to big, powerfull MX bikes. Even the most mature and respectfull youth on a KX250 will camly head through a whoop section, suddenly start to get out of control, accidentally twist the throttle wide open...... and instantly now it's a snapped collar bone, or a broken femur.......

thx guys...i do have respect for things and ride responsibly, i have private track :thumbsup: (courtesy of dad) and biggest jump maybe an 8ft double

i got awesome brain between me ears too, i get straight a's =]

yeah im only 12 thx again

thx guys...i do have respect for things and ride responsibly, i have private track :thumbsup: (courtesy of dad) and biggest jump maybe an 8ft double

i got awesome brain between me ears too, i get straight a's =]

yeah im only 12 thx again

Good for you! You have a great attitude, riding within your abilities. Keep at it and you will be an "A" rider before you know it!

Sounds like you will be a great rider some day for the sport. I do not know your ridding ability so recommending a bike difficult. At 12 I would say get a used 125 2 stroke. It will still fly and have enough power for you until your skill level increases. You can always sell it later and upgrade to a 250 for a few hundred more.

I have a 96 KX250 and it is more than enough bike for me. The guy who said it has nasty torque is correct. It is a monster with a FMF Gnarly on it. It is also a very tall bike. At 6'1" I still have to stretch a little getting on and kick starting it.

My son has a CR125 and it works well for him. He just turned 13 and is 5'11" and 170lbs and it is plenty of bike for him. I would not dare put him on the 250 unless I wanted a broken boy and broken bike. Maybe in a few years I will feel more comfortable with the idea.

There is quite a difference in the low end torque between a 125 and a 250. The throttle is much less forgiving too. I'm sure you could learn to manage it after a few rides but I think you would be better off on a smaller bike unless your already good enough to win the races in your age group. The smaller bike ( as in motor because it isn't that much smaller) would allow you to learn how to push it to keep up with the bigger bikes. This in turn would make you a better rider as you learn to take better lines, feather the clutch, think more about your line and so on. Then once you move up to the 250 you will have the riding skills to really spank some of the big motor posers that have a fast bike but are only average riders (myself included :thumbsup: ).

You should get it.... got my first bike last year 2001 kx250 and am doing just fine.... sometimes even would like a little more power... ridden friends 125's and they seem a little slow, so you'll regret getting a smaller bike especially when you start to get better

Get a 125 2 stroke. Coming off a TTR125, I think it's safe to say you should learn to ride a 2 stroke, before jumping on a beastly 250. I ride a '99 KX250, and it's a monster at times, with a pipe, reeds, and head milling. It gets away from me now and then. I also have a 125, which was my previous bike, and it's got enough speed, but I wanted the monster torque of a 250.

I say, go with the 125 unless you really feel you are up to the 250.