Sign in to follow this  

1997 kx250 advice

Keep this mind. You indeed may be mature enough not to get hurt on the 250, but YOU WILL HAVE MORE FUN ON THE 125!!!. Buy and ride the 125 for at least a year, probably 2, sell it and recoup most of your money, get a 250 and you'll be ready for it. I did the same when I was younger. I rode a 250 coming off of an old Suzuki TS125 and it scared the daylights out of me. So my dad bought me a 125, I rode it for two years, then moved up to the 250 and did fine. You'll find plenty of 250s when you're ready for one.

If you do go for the 250 now, after it scares the daylights out of you the first time get a G2 cam. If that's not enough get a flywheel weight. If you can handle a 250mx bike . . . hat's off to ya, welcome to manhood!! There are PLENTY of grown-ups that can't!!

Keep this mind. You indeed may be mature enough not to get hurt on the 250, but YOU WILL HAVE MORE FUN ON THE 125!!!. Buy and ride the 125 for at least a year, probably 2, sell it and recoup most of your money, get a 250 and you'll be ready for it. I did the same when I was younger. I rode a 250 coming off of an old Suzuki TS125 and it scared the daylights out of me. So my dad bought me a 125, I rode it for two years, then moved up to the 250 and did fine. You'll find plenty of 250s when you're ready for one.

If you do go for the 250 now, after it scares the daylights out of you the first time get a G2 cam. If that's not enough get a flywheel weight. If you can handle a 250mx bike . . . hat's off to ya, welcome to manhood!! There are PLENTY of grown-ups that can't!!

I hope you don't mean G2 camshaft, because this is about a 2 stroke 250, not a thumper.

I hope you don't mean G2 camshaft, because this is about a 2 stroke 250, not a thumper.

NO, I meant G2 throttle - they're cammed to improve throttle control.

I didn't even know there was a G2 camshaft, sorry for the confusion - good catch enduro !!

g2ergo.com

Just read this thread and was wondering whether the guy ever did get the KX250. I have a '97 KX250, I'm 6'+ and have been riding 30+ years it is still more than enough bike for me. I've never seen a 12 year old on a KX250. At 5' 7" you'll be falling off it all the time on the tight sections. Guys are talking about 125mx bikes but I'd be saying form a ttr125 go to a CR85 big wheel or similar .. my boy is your weight and height and he loves that bike which is a complete rocket. On a bike like that you'll learn to ride and they are way easier and more fun to through around. On a 250 MX'er you'll just be hanging on for dear life .. or falling off! A 250 is just to big, too heavy and too difficult for someone of your weight and size.

My lad is that fast on his CR85 that he just about keeps up with me on my 250. The power to weight ratio of you on a CR85 and and adult on a KX250 would not be that different.

If you really are a straight 'A's' student you will understand what I'm saying!