Sign in to follow this  

Introduction and my NOOB questions (first bike)

Hey everyone,

I recently (today) aquired a 1997 DR350 with 24000 km's on it. It's in excellent shape and I had a shop run over it to make sure, and they said its great. The chain is about halfway through its life, and the rear brakes need a full service, it has some bush-scuffs on the side, but is otherwise excellent.

I got it home and decided to make it mine, so I removed the little fanny pack that was attached to the rear fender, and then removed the large license plate frame with rear reflector/license plate light. My plan was to move the plate to the rear fender as it already had holes drilled in there and eliminate the clutter on the rear, and then relocate the license plate light through the brake light.

So I removed everything and then just couldnt take it anymore and decided to go for a ride and get some gas down the road. But when I went to start it, there was nothing. No lights, no starter (its a 97 350SE by the way), or signals.

When I tried to start it I had not reconnected the rear plate light and instead tied the two wires together and tucked them underneath the fender. I guess what my question is, then, is did I blow some kind of fuse, or is my battery dead? I had ridden it a few times before I did this 'personalization', and all I did, literally, was remove the plate holder and license plate lights and then tie those wires together. However, now, since nothing electrical works on the bike, Im left wondering if its the battery?

Id take a look myself, but this is my first bike:) So:

1) Where is the battery?

2) (Im guessing its under the seat) How the heck do I remove the seat?!?

3) Where are the fuses located?

4) Is it possible to jump a bike, or is the voltage way different between cars and bikes?

I have a moderate hill in my driveway and tried roll-starting it in 2nd and 1st - both times it made a burble out of the pipe, but it didnt start.

Thanks a ton for your replies:) Im going to head out and try and figure the seat out some more, so wish me luck:)

-Sean

Alright. As an update, being the genious that I am, I removed the one bolt holding on the side cover (*smacks forehead* and found the battery. Tested the battery by simply connecting the rear license plate light to positive and negative of the terminals and its ok. Still, when I turn the ignition to ON, I get no headlights or anything else. Ideas?

Yeah I have pretty much every cover off right now and was tracing the problem via testlight, but no results. I bet its a fuse too... but I cant find them :thumbsup: !

All I see under the right side cover is a large plastic guard for the airfilter. I mean, I know they're there, just cant see em.

thanks a lot. found it - dr350's are on the left side. the main 20amp is blown. thanks again:)

Hello Mate,,,,

Let me get this right,,, you tied the wires together,, as in connected the positive and negitive together ? Now would you do that in your house wiring?

electric-shock.gif

Dude you can't short them out by connecting them,, or you will blow a fuse or 2,,, I hope....If not it would fry the wire harness.

The little red wire and little black wire are not friends unless something is in between them,,, like the light bulb....

Dissconnect them and put some black tape on both ends then tie them together.

Well hey you figgured out the seat thing uhh? Not a total 'TARD right ?

As far as jumping it with cables,,, ehhh,,, I would not recommend it because when(you hope) it fires up the voltage regulator will be fighting the car voltage regulator and overload it. Or the bike will try and charge both the car and the bike battery at the same time,,, too much for it....

I know,,'It was only on there a second',,, but electric moves at 186,000 MPH so your hand has to move that fast,,, not going to happen, and POOF there goes your charging system.....

SOOOO Disconnect them wires(OR reconnect the bulb) replace that burnt out fuse,, and SaaZamm you should be in the wind soon !

Good Luck !

DD650