Sign in to follow this  

creek jump

there is a very loose gravel creekbed leading to a 3 or 4 foot wide water crossing before a near verticle 9 or 10 foot high hard packed hillclimb, i got an idea to jump off the hill over the water into the gravel, no matter how many times i do it i can overclear the water by at least 10 feet but i cant keep from wrecking in the deep loose gravel, i lose the front end the second i hit the gravel, any suggestions for how to clear it and not wreck?

Lean back as you're dropping off the ledge, and stay on the gas. When you land with your weight back your front tire won't dig in as much.

Try and lean back and stay on the gas when you land so the front end is fairly light and doesn't dig into the gravel.

thats a good idea :thumbsup:

get a friend with a cam or digital camera that takes video atleast.

get a friend with a cam or digital camera that takes video atleast.

yayayay i wanna see this!

Confused, since you describe the creek bed first then the creek and then the hill. But you seem to be going the other direction???

Anyway, your approach may be flawed from the start. Why fly the creek? is it to deep for a crossing? The hill to steep to decend? Sometimes the best approach doesn't include going BIG! Often trail (actually any) riding requires some quick thinking and imagination. Try a different approach, you may find another alternative gets you the same result w/o as much air time, and thus the ground time....

Side note... tire pressure also could be an issue. But chances are the long drop puts you over the bars on the front end before your back in control.

there is a very loose gravel creekbed leading to a 3 or 4 foot wide water crossing before a near verticle 9 or 10 foot high hard packed hillclimb, i got an idea to jump off the hill over the water into the gravel, no matter how many times i do it i can overclear the water by at least 10 feet but i cant keep from wrecking in the deep loose gravel, i lose the front end the second i hit the gravel, any suggestions for how to clear it and not wreck?

I assume you are jumping DOWNHILL on this?

My suggestion: slow down a bit, since you are overjumping. As you approach the edge of the drop, get your weight back and blip the throttle (get the front wheel light) and keep your weight back so you land on the rear wheel first. If you have to turn quickly at the bottom, you might also try turning a bit in the air (harder than it sounds!) so you are partially set up for the turn before you land.