Sign in to follow this  

what size O-ring in the starter cover

Any chance someone knows what size the O-ring is that sits inside the starter idle gear cover . It is #32 in the fiche: http://www.oem.thumpertalk.com/2004DRZ400Scrankcasecover.aspx

I would pull mine back out but I already put a small cut in it and am trying to avoid opening it back up so I can avoid causing more harm . Basically , I want to ride tommorow and I don't suspect any dealers around here carry that part.

I have had a cut in mine for over a year now, no probs. I put the cut (about 1/4" long, taking about 1/2 the diameter of the rubber-a notch, not a cut I guess). I put the cut at the top when i install the cover. There has never been any oil out or any dirt in. I now use a flat-tipped screw driver to stuff the ring into its groove as I install the cover, working around the circumference carefully to ensure it doesnt get caught between the cover and the case again-the oring is actually a bit too big for the cover.

The O ring fits when new but grows after it has been in use for a while. I don't know the size. Yes, many times you can get away with some damage to the O ring. At least that one is easy to change if it leaks.

Well if you are still looking, that metric size is an almost perfect cross match for a US size 2-148 (3/32 X 2 3/4) (actual .103 X 2.737). So there you go.

Thanks for the update on the o-ring specs. My o-ring was pretty well shot . I couldn't get it to completely stop leaking but fortunately I was able to slow it down enough to ride yesterday . Hopefully , I can find a replacement locally .

I broke my o-ring putting back my cover :thumbsup:

Is that o-ring for avoiding oil leak only? I know the o-ring is cheap but I don't have to make an order soon so I'm wondering if I can ride with it if it doesn't leak.

I broke my o-ring putting back my cover :thumbsup:

Is that o-ring for avoiding oil leak only? I know the o-ring is cheap but I don't have to make an order soon so I'm wondering if I can ride with it if it doesn't leak.

yes. the o-ring keeps the oil in & the elements out.

i broke one a while back & used black silicone to put it back together as a temporary fix until i could replace it. got a new o-ring but still haven't replaced it.

you can lay the o-ring in the groove & put a small dab of silicone to hold it together.

i get some very light seepage, but nothing to be concerned about.

Well if you are still looking, that metric size is an almost perfect cross match for a US size 2-148 (3/32 X 2 3/4) (actual .103 X 2.737). So there you go.

If you can find it get one made of Viton.

yes. the o-ring keeps the oil in & the elements out.

i broke one a while back & used black silicone to put it back together as a temporary fix until i could replace it. got a new o-ring but still haven't replaced it.

you can lay the o-ring in the groove & put a small dab of silicone to hold it together.

i get some very light seepage, but nothing to be concerned about.

That's what I did, just wanted to be sure that it would be ok for the moment, I'll order the oring for sure next time :thumbsup:

yeah I saw this thread because when I opened the cover, my oil was a little milky. Yesterday I tried to put my old oil filter o-ring, it's smaller in diameter but it seems to don't leak. Where did you get yours?