Sign in to follow this  

finally rode the case reed motor..

got the opportunity to ride an 04 cr250, but this one was piped, had v-force reeds and a milled head. i just rode it in the parking lot of the mx track i went to and i was surprised, it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be but this bike had some work doe to it so maybe thats why..it had a good hit in the mid rage and felt kind of "electric", it seemed to hit pretty mellow, it revved decently and def. has power, but i hopped back on my 01 and it defietly feels like it has alot more "brute" but both these bikes couldt compare with a yz or rm as far as hit goes :thumbsup:

i liked the way the bike felt though, very light ! i cant wait to get mine

No one can deny that the case reed CR250 makes competitive power. I just don't think they're very fun to ride. The engines are lazy-revving and a little dead on the bottom.

im not to up to date on the cr changes but im assuming honda switched to a different motor in the last few years? and the change has been less than welcomed? if im correct when was the change made?

i can see why people who ride off-road exclusively or "vet" riders wouldn't like the bike, im not saying im fast but i know how to ride a 125, so i didn't think it was as bad as the cr125 is. ive heard the motor has spotty reliability too

im not to up to date on the cr changes but im assuming honda switched to a different motor in the last few years? and the change has been less than welcomed? if im correct when was the change made?

yes 02 was the first year of the case-reed motor and "RC valve" which is a servo controlled powervalve

all the rags' didnt like the bike because it didnt run like a 250..it doesnt have alot to offer down-low and hit hard in the middle but didnt rev out, honestly my 01 runs almost like a 125 itself, it has ok power off idle but it really gets going in the midrange and revs out real far, it hits good but its controllable, atleast to me

My 02 with a 51 tooth sprocket, SST pipe, V force reeds, and crisp jetting hits HARD and pulls pretty well on top. I don't worry about the easy to ride factor much, cause I just got off a 125 and I never ride a bike in the bottom end. If you can keep the case reed motors singing, it's as fast as anything, and I think they're the best handling 250S. I have no complaints about mine and the only other bike i'd consider replacing it with would be a 05-06 YZ, but I needed an 02 for the green sticker and the 02 YZs didn't impress me all that much. The motors were a bit better off the bottom, but the handling and ergos on the Cr were better, so I went red.

Hit mellow? Are you kidding? I'd pit my '04 up against any 250 two-stroke out there. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I have the 04, wiegh 250 lbs and ride exclusively offroad. It have the vforce, stock pipe, JD jetting, Rekluse clutch and 12 tooth counter shaft. I think for offroad riding that the softer bottom of the CR is a plus. There is lots of elevation changes and single track here in WA state and the CR does everthing great. I rode a new KTM 300 exc this weekend ( the mags offroad darling ) and my CR had just as much bottom as the 300 and was much more fun to ride. I have had a 02 450f, Husky 510 and have ridden KTM 200 and 300 and the 05 YZ 250. For me torque is like horsepower, you only need enough to get the job done and anymore just tires you out, especially torque. I can ride the CR for hours longer than I ever could the powerful 4 strokes.

That's to bad the mags gave this bike a bad rap. They can't seem to shake the bad press. I've ridden the other 3 major Jap brands. I wasn't that impressed. It's funny how Yamaha went to aluminun frame in 05. With a little tweaking you can tailer the bike for your needs. Personally I think the bike rips stock. My buddy had the same view as the mags till he rode mine.

Now he wants to buy one.

That's to bad the mags gave this bike a bad rap. They can't seem to shake the bad press. I've ridden the other 3 major Jap brands. I wasn't that impressed. It's funny how Yamaha went to aluminun frame in 05. With a little tweaking you can tailer the bike for your needs. Personally I think the bike rips stock. My buddy had the same view as the mags till he rode mine.

Now he wants to buy one.

Exactly. I don't think the handling on the other bikes is on the same level as the Cr, and the motor isn't any worse on the Cr, it's just different. people hear the mags bitch about it every year and they think it's not a fast bike. the irony is that stock bikes are already fast enough, and handling and suspension make a bigger difference for most people.

Exactly. I don't think the handling on the other bikes is on the same level as the Cr, and the motor isn't any worse on the Cr, it's just different. people hear the mags bitch about it every year and they think it's not a fast bike. the irony is that stock bikes are already fast enough, and handling and suspension make a bigger difference for most people.

id normally agree with you but the cr125 motor is ridiculously hampered by its characteristics, it makes as much power as any other 125, but it only makes it for alittle bit then signs off..if you want to be optimistic you could say the bike will teach you how to corner :thumbsup:

id normally agree with you but the cr125 motor is ridiculously hampered by its characteristics, it makes as much power as any other 125, but it only makes it for alittle bit then signs off..if you want to be optimistic you could say the bike will teach you how to corner :thumbsup:

Yeah, the 125 is kind of another story. My 125Sx felt like it had twice the power off the bottom, as much in the middle, and still pulled longer on top. I've ridden an 02 YZ250 piped and v-forced, and my 02 Cr just feels weaker on the bottom, but after than the CR IMO is better. I feel like it has more in the mid and on top. Not to mention that I couldn't ever get comfortable on the YZ, cause the ergos were way too cramped.

Once jetted and geared similarly, the 02/03 don't feel significantly different than an 00/01 to me.

I rode an 05 Yamaha the other day and I wasn't impressed.

"im not to up to date on the cr changes but im assuming honda switched to a different motor in the last few years? and the change has been less than welcomed? if im correct when was the change made?"

This man needs a subscription to Dirt Bike - STAT!

:thumbsup: