Sign in to follow this  

Bike will not run....Need Help!

Here's the situation. Purchased the bike last summer. Rode it approx. 7 hrs total before cold weather came. Had gas in it over the winter. Went to start it this summer and it would only run while giving it gas. Went for a ride down the street and when I stopped some coolant was coming out of the overflow hose.

Took the carb apart and sprayed carb cleaner thru out. Cleaned the hot start. Put in fresh gas. Put in new plug. Cleaned the air filter. I had changed the engine oil last summer.

Bike will only start with the hot start pulled in (cold, go figure) and choke out now. When I release the hot start, it will only run for a few seconds and off it goes. A guy I know was messing with the throttle stop screw. I don't know if he made the problem worse. There is also a clicking sound, but from other posts I hear this is normal.

Could it be a valve problem already? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

i dont think its a valve problem if the hot start keeps it running. but never the less, it doesnt hurt to check ur valves. check ur coolant level. my brothers cr 125 did that exact same thing. there was no coolant in it. it would run for a few seconds, then shut off. if theres no coolant in ur bike, that could happen. other than that i dont kno to tell u. could be a carbaratuer problem. but i bet u some one on here knows exactly wut the problem is, and they will tell u. good luck.

funny you bring that up. my friends bike was doing the same thing today. somehow his hot start cable was routed wrong so it was shortened and if you turned the wheel just past a certain point, the hot start would turn on. i dont think thats your problem but it wouldnt hurt checking.

you might want to take the carb off again and clean out the jets. there might be old devris still clogging them

When youre cleaning the carb, Be sure to pay attention to the accelerator pump and pilot jet espically, these run your lower rpm jetting and may be why it dies on ya :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help. I guess I need to do a better job cleaning the carb. I'll clean the jets and accelerator pump and see if that is the answer.

Thanks again!

ok i had the same problem when i took my perfectly running bike carb apart to clean it while my motor was getting a top end, and when i got the bike running it was doing the same thing, it was running really lean, so i purchased the next size main jet and piolet get and thing started right up with the fuel screw out 2 1/4 turns

thats just what happend to me, try it its only $10 for both jets

ok i had the same problem when i took my perfectly running bike carb apart to clean it while my motor was getting a top end, and when i got the bike running it was doing the same thing, it was running really lean, so i purchased the next size main jet and piolet get and thing started right up with the fuel screw out 2 1/4 turns

thats just what happend to me, try it its only $10 for both jets

But a bike shouldn't run any different after a rebuild if it was runnin ok before, unless you modified it of course.

But a bike shouldn't run any different after a rebuild if it was runnin ok before, unless you modified it of course.

thats what i said :thumbsup: but now it runs better?