Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400S went down not wont start.

Hi Guys, This is my first post, so go easy on me.

Here is my story: I just bought a used 2005 DRZ 400S with 4000 mi. I had the oil changed and a mechanic go over the bike and he gave it a clean bill of health.

Fast forward: I road the bike yesterday about 100 miles to a trail and everything was going great. Then I got cocky and lost it while doing a left hand turn. The bike went down on its left handle bar. I picked the bike up and went to start it, but nothing. The lights worked, but the starter does not turn (not noise at all). I checked the kick stand interlock switch and it looked normal (no damage) and the clutch interlock switch (after taking the clutch lever assy. apart). I pushed the bike and was able to bump start it in 2nd gear. So, I road for another 100 miles home. The kick stand switch seems to be working as advertised (Engine Runs in Neutral & Dies in Gear). I think it may be the clutch interlock is AFU, but there is not any sign of damage to it. I don't think I could of damaged the starter the fall. Any help in pointing me in the right direction? Also how do I disable these interlocks. Thanks

Mark

Follow the clutch wires back into the head light area. Find the connection for the switch, pull the wires from the connection, remove the clutch switch from the clutch perch & set it aside, jumper the two wires on the bike together & it should work. I find a connector at an auto parts house or Radio Shack, like the ones already on the bike, and crimp it to a short piece of wire the same size as the wires you are connecting. I wrap a piece of electrical tape around the connector and you don't have to ever worry about it again. You can do the same with the kick stand only the wires lead up the left side under the seat in front of the air box. I would get rid of both of the switches. You just need to remember the the bike WILL START IN GEAR and can take off with out you.

As said above...remove the clutch switch. This quick/easy mod will take you longer to take the front headlight shroud off than to reconnect the wires. :thumbsup:

Let us know if that takes care of it. All my friends and I removed those inter-locks long ago. Just one more thing you don't need.

You should also consider installing case savers and radiator guards if you don't already have them. Good luck.

Clutch switch...

As said before get rid of it: it serves no purpose other than shield Suzuki from lawsuits filed by incompetent riders who should not own a bike in the first place...

Thanks again. I disconnected and removed both interlock switches. Now the bike is starting normal. Easy fix, just like you said. :thumbsup:

Let us know if that takes care of it. All my friends and I removed those inter-locks long ago. Just one more thing you don't need.

You should also consider installing case savers and radiator guards if you don't already have them. Good luck.

I ordered a set of Radiator Guards, a Skid Plate & a set of MSR Hand Guards on Friday.

Not sure what Case Shields to get, do you have any feedback on CFC & TT.

The bike came with a IMS 4.0 gallon tank, Suzuki Gel Seat & Tail Rack. I think then I should be good to go now. Then I will replace parts as the break or wear out.

Vote for CFC's here.

They both do the same job, and look the same except for the logo.

CFC's available from "cfcoffroad"an E-Bay seller, or TT ones from you know where.

Neil.

:thumbsup::ride::applause:

As far as case savers go the logo is the only difference and I will tell you that you can't go wrong ordering stuff from TT. Support them when you can.

I ordered a set of Radiator Guards, a Skid Plate & a set of MSR Hand Guards on Friday.

The bike came with a IMS 4.0 gallon tank, Suzuki Gel Seat & Tail Rack. I think then I should be good to go now. Then I will replace parts as the break or wear out.

You should get an FCR for it. I hear there are some in the TT classifieds now and again, or eBay always has a few going. An FCR from a YZ426 with the black throttle housing cover works great, also some of the KTM carbs work. If you have the money to spend on it, it's a worth while power mod.