Sign in to follow this  

JIS..err Japanese Phillips

I have noticed for some time that many of us have had a hard time removing and installing the Mikuni float bowl screws among other Phillips-looking fasteners.It's not completely our fault because we just didn't know until our resident experts recently pointed out the difference.We apparently were using the wrong tools the whole time.It seems that about 1999 there was a new standard for cross point screws introduced in Japan called the JIS or Japanese Industrial Standard.It apparently has gained more popularity in many things among them motorcycles,copiers,electronics even R/C model components.I have searched Snap-On and Mac Tools and other popular brands of mechanics tools and have turned up nothing.I came across Hozan Industrial Tools in Japan.They manufacture JIS certified screwdrivers in at least 4 different tip sizes similar to the Phillips system(#00,#0,#1,#2 etc.).They can be found through a couple of places individually or in sets:

http://www.centralhobbies.com/Tools/jis.html

http://www.ikasinc.com/hozan/drivers.htm

I'm not trying to undermine the replacement hex socket float bowl screws that many people buy to replace the buggered up ones.Just trying to make life less aggravating.This whole JIS thing was getting a little annoying.

yup.....sounds like the same message that Bronco has been preaching for years. :thumbsup:

has anyone figured out exactly what the difference is between JIS and phillips?

JIS standards were originally introduced about 1965. It standardized things like hex sizes, thread pitch, wrench sizes etc. For example: there are standard pan head screws, and reduced pan head screws. JIS are the reduced sizes. All 8mm JIS nuts are 12mm hex. All US and European 8mm are 13. All JIS 10mm threads are 1.25 pitch. All US and European 10's are 1.5 pitch, etc. Never heard that there were any difference in Phillips drives. I have a dozen or more Phillips screwdrivers and bits. They do not all fit the same regardless of where the Phillips screws came from. Both the drivers and the screws have tolerances. I have some standard Phillips drivers that fit some JIS screws perfectly. And some don't. Same for US screws (that is, US made in China). If someone can point me to JIS screwdrivers sets, I'm interested but frankly I don't have much problem with Japanese fasteners.

ive got a dremel thats made in china. it pretty much gets everything out. :thumbsup: hahahaha

ive really never had too much problem either, though.

i wasnt just recently we told everyone this.it been discussed many times over the last 5 years.
It comes up every time a new rider comes in here complaining about "those crappy" screws :thumbsup: You, Nobel, 10Guy and others have been down this road. Not quite an "Oil" thread... but it has come close :ride:

i've only been around as a noob since Dec? and i've seen it come around roughly 3 times? and i still keep reading and keeping my mouth shut b/c almost every topic has been brought up before. that way i look less remedial!

take a #1 phillips and grind a little off of the tip, it will fit the majority of the JIS screws you will find on your bike.

JIS screws on japanese stuff is not new.

I hate those screws because even a stubby screwdriver was awkward in there.

Switched to socket heads and I can remove the float bowl easily with an allen key. I see NO reason for philips (JIS or not) to be on a vehicle of any kind. I get pissed off enough at all the hex head fasteners on my Suzuki (slowing switching to socket heads)

I have a couple of JIS drivers that I've had for several years now, long before the klx in my garage.

I have found that many careful home mechanics can get by without them by finding the "right" phillips or modifing one (good tip on the grinder) but if a person has any tendencies toward being hamfisted then every JIS fastener is doomed.

FWIW, I've found that JIS fasteners tend to strip easier then good quality phillips ones.