Sign in to follow this  

Have a CRF230, looking to dualsport a CRF250X

I've just finished my project: Dual-sporting my CRF230F. Ive got a bajadesigns dual sport kit, street legal tires, mirrors, 45t sprocket...

But ive still got two problems. First gear is too high for me, 6th isnt quite fast enough for highway speed. I dont want to gear it up anymore because i want a low first.

Second problem: Its getting small for me. Its time to move up to a bigger bike, and since we have dunes here, it would be nice to have some more power for the sand.

So here are my questions. Has anyone dual sported a CRF250X? Is first gear low enough for trails, and is 5th (6th, however many it has) fast enough to go 55 of 60mph COMFORTABLY? How does the bike perform on sand? Plenty of power to keep it moving without burning it up? I weigh about 125 pounds. I have also heard that you have to change the oil every 4 hours on the 450. What about footpegs? Has anyone put footpegs on their bike for lightweight, short distance passengers? Everyone in the 230 forum flipped out when i had "footpegs" and "crf230" in the same sentence.

I stopped at Honda World today and checked the bike it, i like it. The back fender seems more sturdy than my 230, so a license plate shouldn't flop all over the place... The sales manager and i talked, he said they have corrected the valve problems. He also said that the oil on the 450R was only if you raced it. He recommended changing it every 30 hours under normal riding conditions. What say you?

Questions about Baja Designs' kit on the 250X: Do they replace the stock headlight? If so, does the headlight sit way forward and look retarded like it does on my 230? What about the rear tail-light? Do they use it in the kit somehow? Is the light bright, do the blinkers blink slow at an idle like they do on my 230?

Wow, thats a ton of questions. Dont hurt yourself trying to answer all of them. Thanks!

I have a 250X and commute every day to work on it (not a long commute though). I trail ride all throuh the winter on it and during the summer put some 17" supermoto wheels on and use it on the road. It will pull 75MPH now (can't remember what size sprocket) and due to the fact that it is not raced do not have to do oil changes all the time. They make a perfect dual sport tool assuming you don't mind a bit of maintenance. Good luck.

The crf250x is a 5 speed and as such feels like it's screaming at 55-60 mph. Running it around town might be ok but it's not a bike your going to want to run at highway speeds for any length of time.

the bike stock goes in the 70's from what i hear... i think the r only goes 55....so yea. Also have u considered a ktm or a suzuki drz400 as a dual sport? the x imho would be too much matnace as a dual sporter. just my two cents.

the R and X both go 69mph stock for stock.

i wouldnt advise it for a dualsport. personally. i think DS are lame, but thats another thing. if your want the SM or DS junk, just get a DRZ.

that way yuo can run highways without tacin to high, and its still plenty trail capable.