Sign in to follow this  

Hot Cams?

While searching for info on cams it looks like most go with a stage 2 intake and a stage 1 exhaust. How much of a difference is there between the stage 1 and 2 intake cams?

Also how much of a difference is there between the stage 1

intake and the stock S intake?

05 DRZ S

Full Yosh

3x3

Twin Air filter

Dyno Jet (waiting for FCR)

Cometic base gasket (not yet installed)

if you plan on doing a bigbore or stroker mod then stg2 in would be wise.there is a difference, the hot cams start working when the stockers sign off.doing the cometic base gasket(that is the base gasket that bumps up the compression right?) at the same time is a good idea as well.you loose a little bottom end when you put in the hotcams

I installed stage 2 intake and it is a huge change from stock. It bumps up the bottom and midrange; perfect for trail riding. It gives longer duration, more overlap and higher lift. Skip stage 1 (milder than E even) and go directly to stage 2. The ex cam is now only available in one stage. I think it has slightly more duration, about same overlap and much more lift but dont know the specs off hand for sure. Do know that it bumps up the mid and upper mid without sacrificing bottom end (that was debatable anyway, many think that the old stage 2 just made such a big diff up top that it felt like bottom was less, though it may not have been). I find the ex cam not as big a change but it works very well and has nice power characteristics-maybe 2 or 3 hp at 5000rpm. If you do a big bore you will really gain because the stock cams are very limiting and the big bore exaccerbates this but you will find a very noticable improvment without a big bore too-at least I did.

Thanks for your input guys! :thumbsup: