Sign in to follow this  

First bail out.

I was practicing a series of jumps at my local SX track, and i was finally nailing a 10 feet high 20 feet gap double.

I clear a 10 feet high pinned 3rd gear 30 feet gap double with a similar face, but the difficult of doing this one is that there ain't a clear run to it. You come out of a tight 180 turn in 2nd gear into a mini double, which is more like two mini bumps, and then you have got to commit and hold the throttle more than 3/4 to clear it because the face is high and steep. The problem is that the straight way is pretty short and its full of loose dirt and bumps which me it hard to have traction and your rear end runs loose all over the way.

In my first attempts i was running short and i cased the jump twice. Fortunately both me and the suspension of my Cr 250 smoker took the hit and got away with it.

Then after 7 or so successful attempts i finally was landing it right and smooth and i got pretty comfortable with the jump.

It has been raining very hard here so all the faces and receivers have no dirt on them, no one has given any maintenance to them so the face on this ramp was was uneven with its left part pretty much steeper than the right one which was the one i had been using because thats were i naturally ended up, but....

On my last attempt of the day I decided to commit and i blasted out of turn WFO on the inside, i rode pretty fast over the small double which is more like two little bumps and i pinned it again on the straight way on the left side of the face, i was pinning it because i had been clearing it using just a little bit more of 3/4 of throttle, and as i approached the jump i noticed that the face was steeper but since i was already committed i didn't pay much attention and i tough that it wasn't that steep to really make a difference.

Well it did, pinning it + a steeper face = Overshooting the jump and my bike had the nose way high.

It took me by surprise so i couldn't try to hit the rear brake cause I'm a beginner, and my attempts to correct the position weren't enough. And it was getting worse.

I took a glamse down and i saw that i was just starting to come down nose way high, i had already passed the landing and i was heading for the face of the next jump. I knew i couldn't make it and i decided to bail.

I had only seen that on TV :ride: and i had never tough that i might have to do it myself so i just went for it unknowing what to expect i pushed off with both my hands and my right leg and it was free fall from there.

Since i landed on the flat part i guess i dropped from 20 feet :thumbsup: and i didn't even noticed how i landed but in the end i was just dizzy, confused and amazed of not having any scratch or broken bones just scratched and bruised knees, thank god i was wearing kneepads which took most of the hit.

I went for my bike after i recovered and i found no visible damage to it, except of a slightly broken rear fender and some scratches on the pipe, it fired up and i drove it home. I just hope that i didn't damage the wheels,swing arm or anything like that.

I am mad because i couldn't see the bail or how the bike landed flipped, bounced and how it ended 30 feet away from where i ended up.

It was quite a rush and i just tought of sharing the experience.

Survey:

I have been thinking if it was a good idea bailing out or not but i tought that it was too risky taking the hit of the upcoming face of the next jump or that the bike running under me or on top of me because the front end was way high.

Is bailing out a smart choice on situations like this or should you always try to save it or minimize the hit with the bike?

Are bikes supposed to handle hits like this one or should i be extra careful on the damage it might have received from this bail?

Also i think that the reason whty this happened its because i have been focusing on how much throttle is needed to clear jumps instead of how much speed. I was thinking that on the previous runs i had to open the throttle up hard because i had to gain as much speed as possible on such short aproach... but since on this attempt i came out of the turn way fast pinning it wouldnt have been necesary because i already had the speed to clear it.

Is my reasoning correct?

oi u know if u were to change the colour of ur powerband u will easily make it, but if u wanna land smooth buy some red gear. DeViLdRiVeR.

Thanks for your wise advice devilrider... but isnt it already past your bed time?

yer your mum seems to think i give good advice as well, now that u mention it, tell her i will be a little late tonite, or is that to much to ask an old timer like u?. DeViLdRiVeR.

you should try to always land with the bike to let the suspension absorb the impact. Yes the bikes are built to handle the impacts. I wouldn't worry too much about your bike, it will take a much much larger jump to damage your wheels.

Yeah unless that last jump led to a cliff you shouldn't bail.

personaly, i wont bail unless im sure i can't ride it out. Some times your better off staying on the bike, sometimes not. At times where you are going to flat land stuff, your suspension is going to take it much better then your ancle/legs. But when you way over shoot stuff and are going to case the top of the next jump, normaly i would bail the bike, and try to land on the back side of the jump. Then again maybe im a wuss. if its something like a loop that can't be brought back, or a bad endo, just get away from the bike, and don't try to save something that can't be pulled off.

One last thing to consider, is if you do keep the bike upright, whats waiting for you? if its a long strait you will want to do something different then if its the back side of a landing thats gonna send you over the next berm and to who knows where. Its all just stuff to consider. A lot of time, you just have to do what your body tells you. I race a lot in the desert, and ive been going along, not see a quad track with some pretty good size berms one right after the other. I rolled off one, landed, and hit the face of another, my friend who was riding behind me said i went from their, to disappeared, to about 8 feet in the air. I had no idea what was happening other then it was bad, i could have hit the break and maybe saved it, but instead i bailed the bike not even thinking about it, it just happened. Did the whole wave your arms/legs trying to stabalize my body, and landed. I got up, and looked at what i would have launched off, another berm that would have made me endo into a giant hill full of rocks, there would have been no "riding that out"

Devilrider get a life and learn how to spell. What are you 13 or 14? But buddy it happen's to all of us, I have bailed one time and it hurt but you gota get back up and ride just like you did. Except I wont be riding anytime soon because SOMEONE in the race today got a little aggresive and as I was hitting the inside rut in a corner a guy on a 450 jumps in it. Takes us both out and yay destroyed radiator.

I only bailed out once and seriously injured my arm. Your best bet is to stay with the bike. As mentioned in a previous post, the suspension will handle a lot, more than your body, so stick with it if you can. I have had some pretty big hits (enough to get serious whiplash) and the bike was the only thing that saved me. Even if the impact throws you off of the bike, the suspension will absorb the majority of the impact.

LilWick

Thankfully I've never had to bail. It's been my experience that 99.9% of the time you're better not bailing. Like they said, that 12 in. of suspension the bike has really will help.

I only bailed out once and seriously injured my arm. Your best bet is to stay with the bike. As mentioned in a previous post, the suspension will handle a lot, more than your body, so stick with it if you can. I have had some pretty big hits (enough to get serious whiplash) and the bike was the only thing that saved me. Even if the impact throws you off of the bike, the suspension will absorb the majority of the impact.

LilWick

That is only if you are fortunate enough to land on the bike, but not when you feel sure that you will simply land near it, or simply astride the seat in some obscene manner lol. My only big wipeout i bailed but not intentionally. i was WAAY high nose and just fell off the back, and it was a small step up, i was maybe 5 ft high lol. :thumbsup:

but dang it hurt my tail... :ride:

Thanks for your advice guys.

It is quite frustrating because there ain't many riders around here.

For example the track was empty yesterday. And there`s usually no one to get advice from.

Sometimes i see a couple experienced guys and try to obtain as much tips as possible about track riding but I'm usually on my own and besides having to learn on your own there ain't no better motivation than someone pushing you.

Thinking back i don't quite know if i could have saved it or not... but at the moment i felt pretty uncomfortable with my body position i couldn't use my body to correct it and i felt as if the bike was almost perpendicular to the ground and it was getting worse and worse. Besides since i remember seeing the next face approaching i panicked of slamming myself against it because i knew that i would risk my wrist/ arms/chest since my feet would have come off the pegs from the hit.

The best scenario on my mind at that moment was landing on the straight, getting the front end down and being thrown over all sketchy by the next jump face to oblivion.

I think that the worst part of all of this, besides my damaged knee, is that i already was pretty confident on that jump and know it will take me time to gather that confidence back.

I also believe that a huge factor of going nose high was my horrible habit of not holding the bike with my knees/ankles. That habit i got it from mountain biking. Therefore my body was "thrown" back wards when i pinned it.

I am going to have to practice and practice over and over holding my bike with my knees/ ankles since it just feels so unnatural for me right now. But i learned the hard way just how essential it is in order of keeping your body position when accel/deccel, having a proper position to correct the bike midair, and going through the whoops.

are you following me around steven? lol

Hah, no, we must just like to hang around the same posts.

Yeah, I'm learning too. You definitely want to use your legs to grip the bike. You'll have better control in the air. Not to mention be in a better position to tap that rear brake if you need to.

Hope the leg feels better. Get it checked out if you can.

Bailing out is usually the worst thing you can do. Even if you are going way over, try to use your suspension to soak some of the hit. The only time I have ever thrown the bike away, was when it was pretty much gone anyway.

A friend of mine broke his back when he landed on his ass after a bail with the front end way high. Always try to stay on and use the bike.