Sign in to follow this  

Helmet speakers

I just bought my first ipod and I wanted to listen to it while I ride. I noticed an ad on thumpertalk, that said helmet speakers. Here is the link http://www.helmetaudio.com/item--Helmet-Speakers--AHA1014.html

Has anyone had any experience with these? I just can't keep the ear buds in my ears and have my helmet on at the same time. Everytime I put my helmet on they just fall out. Thanks for any further help.

[Abandoned]

looks pretty cool to me, I think i'll splurge on a set whenever i can splurge on an MP3 player. Looks like they are thin so you probably wouldnt notice them behind your helmet liner. Let me know how they work out!

I personally think its a retarded idea to listen to music while riding. Just a distraction that could cause a wreck that might never have happened.

With that said, I have a set of speakers in my helmet for bike to bike communications.

lol....well, what if your buddy says something really loud right when you are about to go off a jump, in the communication system? Isn't that a distraction. I feel like music motivates me to do bigger jumps and ride faster. So I think I'll buy the $20 helmet speakers. I'll tell how they work out, as soon as I get them.

Sony has ear pieces that wrap around your ear. That's what I use. Check your local Best Buy...

Ok, I'll check those out. But I think I'll end up ordering the helmet speakers. They look awesome. And they look like you can't even notice they are there.

I got those very speakers you are looking at, for street riding. They are very thin, you barely notice they are there. Only thing I don't like is they come with velcro that supposedly holds them in place when you take your helmet on & off, but really doesn't do that great of a job. So, when I put my helmet on I sort of stick my fingers up to keep them in place so they don't slide around, and then have to wiggle them around. Fixable if you're willing to make them semi-permanent, and stitch them in, which I'm probably going to do sooner or later.

And having them in the right place is important, they really aren't that loud with my MP3 player. If they aren't in the right place next to my ear, I can't hear them once I get moving. And thats with my Rio MP3 player as loud as it can go, riding street.

That said, I certainly prefer them to the in the ear kind, I personally find ear buds under a snug helmet uncomfortable. And once they are stitched in, it'll be great to not have to fart around with putting in the ear buds, I ran the cord in between the peices of liner and it falls out about three inches below my street helmet, so I just put my helmet on, plug in, and go! :thumbsup:

For $20, they were worth it to me.

How do you clip the IPod on yourself when you are riding. Hopefully in an area not prone to getting hit when you crash. Were are you putting yours when your riding?

How do you clip the IPod on yourself when you are riding. Hopefully in an area not prone to getting hit when you crash. Were are you putting yours when your riding?

I don't have an Ipod, those always looked a little fragile to me, I've got a Rio Cali Sport which has proven to be basically bomb proof... I've dropped and then kicked that thing while jogging, and it didn't even phase it! :thumbsup:

My system is for street, and I just stick it in an inside jacket pocket. (I haven't tried it for MX, I like to be able to hear other bikes on the track.) I guess if I crash on the street, I've got bigger problems than my MP3 player... :applause::ride:

I wear a camel back and put it in there. Thanks alot learning2fly. I think I will stich them on when I get them. And I hope I can hear it.....thank god I don't ride a really loud four stroke.....

I wear a camel back and put it in there. Thanks alot learning2fly. I think I will stich them on when I get them. And I hope I can hear it.....thank god I don't ride a really loud four stroke.....

And thanks for reminding me that I wanted to get that done... I just finished sewing them in my street helmet! :thumbsup:

You should be able to hear them without a problem, once you get them positioned correctly.