Sign in to follow this  

How to put "Bar End Sets" on?

I bought some bar ends and i got the left side on, but when i put the throttle tube side on it locks up my throttle when i tighten it. Please help, i already poked the holes in the grips!

You may need to remove the throttle tube from the bars and clean up any material that remains on the end of the tube until it has the proper clearances for the bar ends to be inserted without binding on the trottle tubes. A round file or a Dremel would be the best bet.

the bar ends, grip onto the grip not the tube. will i have to cut the end of the grips? if i do cut the end of the grip wont the grip just brake easy??

All the bar ends I have seen are meant to be inserted into the end of the bar and fit over the grips end to protect the grips and throttle tube in the event of a tip over.

So are the bar ends supposed to turn with the throttle?

so if im correrct, the bar ends need a lil gap between the grips end? so the grip can turn and not be stopped by the bar ends?

you need to cut the end of the grip off the throttle side, then clean up the throttle tube, so that the bar ends don't catch on the grip

I bought some bar ends and i got the left side on, but when i put the throttle tube side on it locks up my throttle when i tighten it. Please help, i already poked the holes in the grips!

Sounds like you're overtightening the expander nut and forcing the bar on the throttle side to expand and bind your throttle tube. Are you using steel or aluminum bars?

Got an automatic cruise control?

I have always had to cut off the end of the grip.

A nice little hole like on the other side doesn't work.

I just cut it off at the outside ridge.

Then I slide the throttle tube in a bit. 1/8 inch.

Twist on, release, full return.

The first time I spent a long time trying to trim it.

The last set of grips, I just cut off the grip at the outside ridge.

Im using Pro Taper Contours!

I dont think you could overtighten the expander nut that much that the metal would expand. Even with old standard handle bars.