Sign in to follow this  

hitch trailer dirt bike

I am looking for a decent priced well made dirt bike trailer hitch? I am towning a 06 drz400s on the back of a class 3 hitch. I did the search and was wondering whats new out there in this inductry? Are you how with the model you bought? Would you buy it again? etc. Ease of use. Any help would be great.

The September 2006 issue of Dirt Rider magazine (should still be on newsstands) has a complete article on trailer hitch bike haulers. They rate the Spectrum Innovations Sport Carrier the best, Versahaul VH-55 RO Second and Joe Hauler JH08 Cam-Loc Third. They review more but I thought I would point out the top three. Hope this helps and good luck on your search. :thumbsup:

If I were you, I wouldn't look for a motorcycle-specific trailer. I bought the one in the picture below for $400.00 brand new and it's been awesome. When I'm not towing bikes, I use it for hauling furniture, garbage, mulch, etc. I put the 2x12's on it and coated them liberally with water repellent. It costed me about $80.00 in materials and makes all the difference in the world.

I'm planning on screwing some 2x4 pieces in spots to put the bike tires between for extra security. Just my opinion, but motorcycle trailers aren't any good for anything except motorcycles.

BikesOnTruck1.jpg

I thought about one of those types from harbor freight but I just dont have the room in the garage and our development doesnt allow things like that outside in view. I do have that new magazine on the trailers from the dirt issue but I always like to ask real people who use that specific model on a daily basis. There are always a ton of them on ebay? I just didnt know if certain ones were bad and fragile on construction. They run anywhere from $170-$300 delivered.

I bought mine from the TT store: http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/si-450.htm I highly recommend it: strong, light, high quality, and easy to use.

There's a full write up of it with pictures here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213502

A friend bought a VersaHaul http://www.versahaul.com/products.html and it's real beefy, heavy, and more expensive. I like mine better.

Scooter - that is not the lightest bike. You may want to ask about that.

I have a Harbor freight folding trailer - folds like a ping pong table. If the trailer were used for just 1 bike it would have been fine but for the 3 bikes we haul at a time it was a pain to get stable. It probably not what you want but there was an article in our paper regarding www portachopper dot com. Looks pricey but I think there may be others out there, ask in the trail/truck section of TT?

edit - you might want to click on the linky motoinmoab gave - that looks pretty good.

I own a Versa-Haul dual bike carrier. I use it to carry my CRF250X and my son's CRF70. For those bikes, it works fine. It doesn't lighten or raise my front end to any noticable degree. The truck still feels very solid in terms of steering. It's 2004 BMW X5.

I wouldn't attempt to carry to full sized bikes using this hitch carrier and an SUV. Maybe an F350 pickup or a motorhome would be ok. We do use it with out 31 foot RV.

As far a securing the bikes. I use the two handlebar soft tie-downs and tie the slack around the bars again. I also tie down the rear wheel.

Most importantly though, I run a tie-down from the eyes on the sides of my hitch, over the seat and soft tie it to the bikes frame. I do this for each bike. The point being, if the inner handlebar tie-down lets go, there's something to hold onto the bike. If the outer one lets go, all I lose is a rear window. I'd rather that than have the bike in someone's lap behind me.

The review in dirt rider complained that he had to go under the carrier to tighten the bolts on the hitch anti sway clamp. This is BS. Simply straddle the main bean and use a 9/16th socket with an extension and tighten the 3 bolts from above. The bolt point up, so hopefully, this will make sense.

There's a little bit of work with the hitch carrier, but I find it easier to deal with than a trailer. The loading I pretty much have down to a science. First time was awkward. Now I just have all the tie-downs in place before I wheel the bike up and we're set to go in 5 or 10 mins. Versa-hauls ramp kit is a must for a 250F or larger. I also have a tail light kit for it (it was cheap) and I do have to move my license plate from the truck to the carrier. When the bikes are loaded, you can't see the plate. Got a ticket for that.

If you're considering this type of gizmo, check your hitch capacity and keep in mind that the wieght of the bike is out on a moment arm, so the force it's applying to your vehicle is more than it's own wieght. That will lighten your front wheels. If that effect is too significant, it will be dangerous to drive your truck.

One last thing... I do take it easy with the bikes on the back. Especially on bumpy dirt roads. I don't corners fast. Pretty much drive the same way if I was towing a trailer.

any questions, post away... I'll tell you the good stuff as well as the ugly truth... like the first time I loaded up, my 250F fell on me.. twice... it was my own fault and had to do with how I ran the inside handlebar tie-down. :thumbsup:

I have used a MotoJackRack on the back of my Tahoe since 2000, and have not had any problems with it. I carry a WR400 over logging roads to my cabin (rough logging roads), and the bike doesn't move at all.