Sign in to follow this  

New 07 Dual Sports

Has anyone in the US seen the new KTM DS bikes yet?

I'm itching to try one of these...

The 2007 KTM Underground mag came in the mail last week...w/ pics!

It confirms the 2007 450 EXC and 525 EXC will be street legal. They will cost more and have restricted heads, carbs, and exhausts to meet EPA regs.

The XC and XC-W's will NOT be street legal apparently.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

The 2007 KTM Underground mag came in the mail last week...w/ pics!

It confirms the 2007 450 EXC and 525 EXC will be street legal. They will cost more and have restricted heads, carbs, and exhausts to meet EPA regs.

The XC and XC-W's will NOT be street legal apparently.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

How much less HP power will the 07 EXC VS 06 EXC. I have money down on a 07 450 EXC. If its going to have alot less HP, maybe i should go with the 525 EXC? Is there anyway I can find out more info. on this subject?

How much less HP power will the 07 EXC VS 06 EXC. I have money down on a 07 450 EXC. If its going to have alot less HP, maybe i should go with the 525 EXC? Is there anyway I can find out more info. on this subject?

I'm afraid we won't know until the crated bikes arrive in the Fall. The carb and exhaust are probably an easy :applause: fix. IF the valves are modded it may be a bit more tricky. :applause:

I assumed KTM would do what Husky did...sell ALL the XC-W's with a plate, but the fact that it is now listed as a separate and distinct model (with a higher price)...makes me think limited numbers and mods not easily reversed (or desired?) on the XC-W's were definitely required for the EPA/DMV. :ride:

Stay tuned for when the bikes actually arrive in the USA. :thumbsup:

I wonder how Husky did it then? The heads and Valves on the Street legal Husky TE models are the same as the others (SMR and TC). Only added the emission crap, which is easily removed and the horn and lights........The new 07 Husky's are arriving soon, and at 7599 for the TE 510, that will be a consideration over the 525 EXC and likely a couple hundred less too. If KTM were smart, they'd do up some SM with DOT approval. Husky sold all of the 450/510's they had in the US in the SMR config.

I wonder how Husky did it then? The heads and Valves on the Street legal Husky TE models are the same as the others (SMR and TC). Only added the emission crap, which is easily removed and the horn and lights........The new 07 Husky's are arriving soon, and at 7599 for the TE 510, that will be a consideration over the 525 EXC and likely a couple hundred less too. If KTM were smart, they'd do up some SM with DOT approval. Husky sold all of the 450/510's they had in the US in the SMR config.

To me the best KTM four stroke (for tight pacific northwest woods) is their 400 EXC and Husky has no match for it. But if you are going 450 or 525 and you want street legal, the Husky TE's are tough to beat and are similar or identical in displacement. I am in line for one right now. If sounds like KTM made engine mods whereas Husky only modded the carb. With a Husky, get a JD Jet Kit and you are set. Not bashing KTM as they make great bikes but it looks like Husky may have the upper hand here.

Greg

A quick glance at the parts book doesn't show anything concerning the heads or valves being different. The EXC retains the current spark arrestor muffler and very lean jetting for emissions requirements. The only other thing I see is all the road legal bits and pieces. I assume that all it needs to be like the 06 is rejet it, remove all the street legal stuff and off you go.

Pretty cool looking Super Enduro 950 in the Underground. :thumbsup:

On the 450 EXC I ordered the dealer said it would have a cannister and very lean jetting. Just like a Husky.

Sooooo, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

07 less performance, DOT legal $8,000

06 EXC, can be had for $6100, better performance, add DS kit of choice +600 or less DOT legal for $6,700. Lots of $$$ for hard parts and such.

Am I missing something?

Good luck getting a 06 street legal in Iowa!

Or California :thumbsup:

Am I missing something?

Yeah maybe, The MSO and your VIN. Most states will require a MSO that doesn't say "Off Road Only" or Competition Only whatever to get plate. My Husky MSO said DOT legal, conforms to all Federal standards Blah Blah Blah. I can't remember what my last KTM MSO said. And if you want a true legal bike, having the factory brake light switches, running gear etc is nice. Plus usually the stator's are wound up for a more "street realistic" output for a light that truely works at night for street riding some.

State dependant, that could be a bitch getting a plate on the 06. When I went to the DMV to plate my 06 Husky, honestly, the lady didn't even look. But she did run the VIN so it was approved and looked good to the system so no issues. Painless actually in Virginia. Then there's insurance.

Hopefully the 07 KTM's will be as stated, jetted lean and the emissions stuff, that will be great. Any new bike needs jetting to get it right for the most part, not just DOT bikes. Now if they could just get the cost a little closer to the Huskies........and do up some SMC's in DOT trim, they would be there. I've had both KTM and Husky, I like both. In my mind, the only upper hand KTM has right now over Husky is aftermarket and dealer support. The bikes are really close in performance, detail and quality. Dealer support i can live without thanks to the internet and aftermarket is starting to come up now with the popularity of the 450/510 Huskies. Cost is really the main factor now, and availability.

As multiple PA KTM dealers are telling me, They'll issue a DOT registration with the bike for the cost of the state registration. The KTM MSO's are not marked for off road use.

If wanted they'll add the DS kit and inspect. I prefer to do that on my own since I can probably get the non-dot stock tires thru a inspection.

The EXC retains the current spark arrestor muffler and very lean jetting for emissions requirements.

I seriously doubt that the current EXC spark arrestor muffler would meet the more stringent street sound requirements.

Aside from the looks... are there any 'performance differences from the 05 EXC's and the 06 EXC's ?

The 450 specifically.

The Specs I could find look identical but those for the 05 didn't mention if that year had a E-Start.

Its been awhile since I've been into the KTM and looking to get back.

Thanks..

Aside from the looks... are there any 'performance differences from the 05 EXC's and the 06 EXC's ?

The 450 specifically.

The Specs I could find look identical but those for the 05 didn't mention if that year had a E-Start.

Its been awhile since I've been into the KTM and looking to get back.

Thanks..

My 05 has the E-start, not sure about the specs though.