Sign in to follow this  

chain very tight cause damage?

Bought a new o-ring chain for my Buddy's KE100. (dont ask me why he bought o-ring for a road bike) We had to order one size longer then stock for availability reasons. We decide on keeping the chain on the KE100 and putting the o-ring chain on the TTR cause my current chain is pure garbage, and I LOVE o-ring chains. (the KE100 and TTR125 use the same spec chain, except length I just found out) turns out it doesnt fit. Had to adjust wheel all the way in and pull on the chain with tools to connect the master link. The chain is now on the bike.. only ridiculously tight. zero slack. If I sit on it, its very tense. Its not 100% unmovable, but theres no real play thats for sure. This chain has been sitting bran new in its package all summer and is too late to take back or exchange. Could I RIDE the bike as is and try to stretch the chain? or will this cause damage to the motor/gears from all the stress.

Such a nice chain. Shame to see it go to waste.

Do NOT run the chain that way. Running zero slack in the chain will destroy the wheel bearings and the countershaft bearings, and even creates a real possibility of breaking the cases at the countershaft opening.

WARNING WARNING WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not run a too tight a chain. You can cause a whole slew of problems. Most are very expensive.

Dwight

I figured that was the case, thats a real bummer. now im chain-less and 80 bucks in the hole. couldn't of happened at a nicer time of the year too.

Is there any possible way I can get a smaller rear sprocket to replace the outrageously huge of a monster rear sprocket I currently have? Dwight, I remember you saying a 2 tooth larger front sprocket is ideal, but what If I get a 5 or 6 smaller rear sprocket.. will this have the same effect? If so, I could possibly use my chain, which would make me very happy.

let me know, as il order a rear sprocket asap.

I figured that was the case, thats a real bummer. now im chain-less and 80 bucks in the hole. couldn't of happened at a nicer time of the year too.

Is there any possible way I can get a smaller rear sprocket to replace the outrageously huge of a monster rear sprocket I currently have? Dwight, I remember you saying a 2 tooth larger front sprocket is ideal, but what If I get a 5 or 6 smaller rear sprocket.. will this have the same effect? If so, I could possibly use my chain, which would make me very happy.

let me know, as il order a rear sprocket asap.

It would probably be cheaper to sell that chain on ebay and get a cheaper chain for your bike. I run a 428 non-oring chain on my bike its cheaper but wears about the same as stock. Its a primary drive chain off of www.rockymountainatvmc.com it was fairly cheap but its not bad. about20-30$$

You could see if a local dealer has "bulk" chain. Buy a couple of links and another master link. Not the best solution, but I've seen it done without problems. You probably want to be sure it's the same brand O-ring chain.

yeah leave it like 1" of slack at a min..i usually keep mine around there