Sign in to follow this  

Need a Honda Euro part

I need a tachometer cable for an 87 Honda XL600R.

I know....some of you guys are thinking "Honda XL600Rs didn't come with tachs." Well, they did. All the European ones did. But not USA.

So anyway, I have one on my XL. (I think it actually came off an 84.) But my cable's broken. And the part isn't available to USA Honda dealers. So I need to get one from across the water. Britain, preferably. I've contacted a couple dealers and pretty much got the big blow-off!

Do any of you guys have any reliable contacts for Honda parts in Britain? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure they had a tacho in Australia as well, they definately did on the 500. You could try searching google for motorcycle wreckers in Aus. I have had luck with Sydney and North queensland ones

You don't really need the Make, Model, and year of the bike to order a part. See if you can get the Honda part number from a Euro dealer, then just walk into a local dealer in the US and order one. Chances are good that the same cable was used on many other models of bikes sold in the US.

If that doesn't work, take the old part into your local dealer on a slow day and ask them if you can compare it with others in their parts room. If you're "in good" with your dealer, they just might let you snoop around in the parts room. I know my local Honda dealer lets me do it. I needed a sprocket and clutch cable for a vintage Honda. It took me a couple hours of searching, but I found what I needed. The packages where not marked as being for the bike I was working on, but they fit just fine. The dealer I go to has been there for decades, so they have tons of NOS parts in boxes covered in dust, just waiting for people like me to snoop threw. And to top it off, I had fun doing i!