Sign in to follow this  

my new project, 1995 cr 125!!!

ok, so last night i picked up my new bike. i got this bike for my dad so he will be able to ride again since he hasnt had a bike for more than 20 years, and i just got a 2005 yz 125, so we can also do something together. anyways, i got this puppy for my other half-built 50, it needs some tlc, but it will be worth it in the long run.

just by turning the motor you can hear the grinding of the main bearings, they are close to being shot, so luckily the top-end went when it did because the guy i bought it from didnt know much and would've destroyed the motor. now for the motor, i have ordered a hot rod crank/rod combo, some a/m main bearings for the crank, new crankcase seal kit. im not sure if i needed to replace all that, but hell, might as well make a new motor if i want it to last. havent ordered the top end yet, im not sure which is best? wiseco or vertex? or are there any other good brands out there. were going to strip the whole thing down and snad down the frame and paint/clearcoat it. then were going to move onto the little things like brake fuild and all the other little mishapps the bike has.

we need to fill the brakes in eaach cyclinder, buy a bolt kit, or go to the hardware store and get a bunch of matching bolts, paint the frame, replace the top-end, get a new plug, , sand blast a bunch of stuff, and so on. im thinking in the end its going to cost around the 500 mark for me, if that.

i was wondering were i can find some plastic kits, acerbis and ufo dont seem to have any complete kits right now, but ill keep looking around. also, does anyone know if i can buy the elsinore replica kit for this bike, if not, can i atleast go buy some silver plastics somewhere? and dont you guys just hate it when someones spray paints everything thinking it will make the bike look better :thumbsup:

anyways, here are some pics, i have all the plastics off right now but thats just the beggining :ride:

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h320/kxfreak/?sc=1&multi=8&addtype=local&media=image

^the first 4 or 5 pics are of the bike, just click on them to enlarge them^

well, ive ripped most of it apart already, well, half of it. im painting the frame and clear coating it, and then putting in my new cranks and stuff this weekened. im hoping to have her up and running the best she has since she was new. also, im still having trouble with the plastics, can find one single kit, i really want some silver plastics though.

They probaby wern't black cases. I bet the previous owner spray painted them black thinking it would make it look cooler, as kxfreak mentioned that he hated people who spray painted things that looked good to them, but knowone else.

yea, well i got the subframe all painted today, and it looks really good, just like my yz's aluminum frame. i have a question though, i cant get the rear shock off, theres no way in hell it will com off the top mount, is it like this on all cr's or what? its as if someone welded a little bushing to the side and i cant take the shock off.

hey freak, i have a 94 (semi project) that i have been on the lookout for. I'm almost sure you will not find a complete silver kit (fenders, side guards, etc...). About the best chance (for silver anyways), would be from Maier. I have been able to find some parts from each vendor (Acerbis, UFO, Maier) but not much luck with the "whole plastic kit". I wish they had them, I'd be all over it. Instead I'm left wondering if the UFO side panels match other vendor plastics.

Anyways, you will find the biggest variety (for our old clunkers) at Parts Unlimited or Dennis Kirk. Good luck and let me know what you find. Scott

ok, well i have been looking around and working on the bike. its coming along great, i have it all dissamassembled and i have painted the frame and sub-frame. i first used some industrial paint, it was called cold fusion or something, it was weird because the paint came out flaky, already dry, but it bonded to each other an worked great. i did about 7 layers of this stuff(not cheap at 12 dollars a can) and then i switched to my metallic silver paint. this was just normal rustoleaum(sp?) and i did about 7 or more layers of this stuff. i have not clear coated it yet and im not sure if i will, im touch this stuff, and i just cant seem to scratch it, the industrial paint seemed as though it soaked up the other, and this stuff is really on there, it looks just like my 05's yz frame, perfect color's. right now im polishing up the swing arm, its not going to be extremely shiny, but it will set off a glare, im just doing it to clean up the look of.

i took my whole engine out and im leaving that out until i get my new crank set and everything else.i am having trouble putting my top triple clamp back on though, the forks seem as though they are spread out to far, not by much but i cant even squeeze the forks back into place. should i loose the bottom tripple and drop it to the bottom, then put on the top and hammer it back up or what?

i will post pics of the frame and swinger 2night or tommarow.

Post pics of the entire project....I'd like to see it.

Also, I'm assuming you are using the Fusion paint on the plastics, right? Heard of a few folks painting with that stuff. Sounds like you're painting the frame with it. Will it stay on the frame?

well, im not going to paint the plastics, worse comes to worse, im going to buy a new set of plastics and then maybe paint them. ill have pics up today. the stuff i painted the frame with was alled cold galvinizing spray or something like that. it was a dull gray, and already dried out, but it stuck to the frame and everything perfect. it has a really strong grip to the frame, but i did polish down the frame to bare metal. also, it kinda defeated the purpose of primer by absorbing all the paint, but it was actually great. since the stuff stayed on the frame so great, it just pretty much absorbed the other color and it looks good and it holding strong too. i polished up the swingarm a tad, and put some of the stuff back on this morning. its now has the sub frame, forks, swingarm, shock, and frame on it. ill have pics real soon.

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h320/kxfreak/?action=view&current=Picture006.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch2 swingarm

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h320/kxfreak/?action=view&current=Picture005.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch3 building up, frame looks white but its not

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h320/kxfreak/?action=view&current=Picture007.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1 true color of frame, its loks like the color of my yz 125 aluminum frame to givve you guys an idea. a galvanized aluminum.

yea, big big mess down there right now, hoping to have everything on by tommarow except for the engine and some other stuff. ill have to get some bolts and stuff for the placs, and a new gasket kit. ill have more pics tommarow as i continue.

well long time no update. i havent done to much to the bike lately, i have been working on the engine mostly, and everything is coming along REALLY REALLY slow. we took the cylinder too a local guy who does all the work for the dealers around here, he's hooking us up with a piston kit, replating, port and poliush and all those lil goodies for 210 usd. not a bad deal, it should be done in a week or 2 he said.im hoping to have the bike running within the day after i recive my cylinder, and from there on im not sure what to do. i cant find any good graphics kits for it, and i need to order a good gasket kit and plastic kit. as of now, its just a chassis with no motor, but it will be there soon. ill post pics and a vid up whenm it is finished.

Just checked out your post for the first time. Looking good. I went through my '94 CR250 in much the same way, not long ago(except for all the engine repairs you're having to do).

I've noticed that a lot of retailers & wholesalers will only list plastics and many other parts for the previous ten years. If you look for UFO plastics for a '96, you may have better luck. I replaced all mine a few years back with UFO. They had every piece, and the fit and finish is superior to Acerbis and way better than Maier. If I remember right, I went straight to the UFO website through a google search...

My take on all this is that your dad has one helluva son to be really proud of. This is a really cool thing you're doing... :thumbsup:

yea, i hope he's happy when im done with it, if i go through all this trouble for him just to blow it off and not ride it, ill be pretty damn pissed, but i dont think thats gonna happen. ever since the day i traded my pitbike build for this, he has had the biggest smile on his face, and i cant wait for him to ride. his friend that bought me my first bike wont let him ride his anymore because he's to "aggressive" so when he ride this bike for the first time next week, im sure t will be on of the best days he has had for the past 10 years. and thanks for the support, seeing as im only 15, and have paid for all my bikes and whatnot, its not exactly the easiest thing to do, but im hoping it will be worth it.

yea, i hope he's happy when im done with it, when he ride this bike for the first time next week, im sure t will be on of the best days he has had for the past 10 years. and thanks for the support, seeing as im only 15, and have paid for all my bikes and whatnot, its not exactly the easiest thing to do, but im hoping it will be worth it.

It'll absolutely be worth it! When I got my '94 and got back in the saddle, it was so great. If one of my boys had gotten the bike for me...they would've had to break out the smelling salts!

You're doing something here that your grandchildren will be telling tales about long, long from now... :thumbsup::lame: