Sign in to follow this  

Thinking Of Buying a CRF50F

What's up guys? I just recently became a member of this site, but I've been browsing it for about a year. I've been researching pit bikes to help me decide if I wanted a stock Honda 50 or a Chinese replica.

Well I pretty much decided that I'm getting a new CRF50F on Saturday. I went looking around at local dealers to get prices because I planned on buying a pit bike in about two months. Anyway, the one salesman told me I could have a 2005 leftover CRF50F for $999. I think that's a good deal, especially for this area and I plan on picking it up Tuesday. I was just wondering what your thoughts were on this. Since it's a stock 50 I'll also be needing a bar kit, pegs, and exhaust to start with. I've really been leaning towards the Five0 stuff because it looks great and looks to be well-built quality stuff. I am sort of disappointed that the Five0 kit is somewhat expensive compared to the others and it also looks incomplete. From what I can tell I'll still need a brake lever, grips, cable, and kill switch. I'd like some feedback on these parts and this brand. I appreciate all the help. Thanks!

five o is good stuff, but theres lots more to see, so dont stick to one brand.

www.sik50s.com

www.hondatrailbikes.com

www.classichondausa.com

hold off on the exaust till you get a bore kit, it is a huge waste of money until you mod your engine. example, for the cost of an exaust you could get a trailbikes 88 kit and double the power, exaust may give a .08% increase in power.

theres some free mods www.ministothemax.com www.50mods.com nothing wrong with free.

youll also want hd springs for the shock and forks, uni airfilter, maybe a seat.

good choice with the honda!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the links. I have checked out Minis To The Max and 50 Mods a bunch of times. They are great sites.

I agree with you on not limiting myself to one company. I'm pretty much looking for the best bang for my buck parts. I do like the Five0 bars more than any other kit I've seen. I'm not too sure about the throttle housing with the integrated brake perch. If that breaks it's a lot more expensive to replace than just buying a new lever so I was wondering if it was durable? And I'm going to hold off on the exhaust for a little while. I wasn't planning on getting a big bore kit any time soon, but that's because most of the ones I've seen are pretty expensive. Is the Trail Bikes 88 kit good quality and a lot of improvement in power or is it a "budget" big bore kit?

Yea, the TB kit is the best bang for your buck. It really wakes the bike up. But remember if you get this kit, you also NEED a HD clutch or the manual kit, and the high volume oil pump, and with that you have to drill out the oil passage way. I'm pretty sure danosbikeshop has a how to on that, it's not htat bad really.

you can get a BBR bar clamp for 80 dollars new or find one on ebay even cheaper.. from there you can piece your own bar kit together usaully cheaper than buying one outright. it cost me 163 bucks to build one with a BBR clamp, haro bars and motion pro controls and cables..all boughtseperate at the local bikeshop

And trailbikes kits are great, i've seen them take more abuse than any engine should have to endue and hardly show any signs of wear. you definately need a HD clutch with the 88, the oil pump is a little more of "extra insurance", but i recommend it for sure because it's no where near as hard as you might think to install it and since you gotta have teh top end and clutch off to install it you might as well spend the extra 25 bucks and do it right the first time

stay away from the billet throttles with the built in perch, its a bad design. uses the stock lever and if you get different brakes it will be useless.

stay away from the billet throttles with the built in perch, its a bad design. uses the stock lever and if you get different brakes it will be useless.

Good point. I thought about it breaking off, but I didn't even think about it not working when I changed brakes. And I do plan on getting a front disc eventually.

turboglenn: I don't really like the BBR clamp or their bar kit, but thanks for the advice.

I'm definitely getting the Honda. The problem is that I have to wait until Tuesday for the dealer to open and I can hardly wait! I should have picked it up on Saturday, but I wasn't really positive about it. I'm pretty excited to pick it up. Hopefully, I can take it home Tuesday which I should be able to since I'm buying it cash.

I've seen the TB big bore kit mentioned many times on here and saw it was pretty cheap. At the price they sell it for it's hard to believe it's reliable, but I've read nothing, but good things about it. Thanks for the good advice guys! Keep it up.

For what it's worth, I've seen a lot of 50's that are already have all the trick stuff for sale on planet minis classified section. Some are extremely expensive and some aren't.

You could probably find one all done up for what your going to spend on the new one.

Just a thought.

I'd probably never buy a used modified 50 because I know the kind of abuse and punishment that they're put through. No thanks. I'm definitely getting a brand new one. Sure, it's just a strock CRF50 that I'll have to put some money into to get it to how I like it, but that's the fun part. And a brand new CFR50 for $999...that's pretty hard to beat.

I'm going to pick it up after work. The rest of this day is going to seem like it's lasting FOREVER.

I picked it up about an hour ago. I only rode it for a few minutes and let my aunt and sister ride it. Neither of them crashed either...amazing! Anyway, this is the first time I've ridden a bone stock 50 and damn is it anemic. Bars are definitely the first thing to go. I've only ridden BMX bar 50s and then a Chinese replica with moto-style bars. Which do you guys prefer and why?

I was planning on getting the Five0 bar kit, but I emailed them twice and never got a response. They probably lost a customer over that. Anyway, now I'm looking at the Sano bar kit. Is this a good kit? The problem is that it's one of the most, if not the most expensive kit I've seen. Any ideas where to get it cheaper? The Red Baron and the ABA Racing kit (I think that's what it's called) with the "Universal" bar pad and insane looking triple clamp looks cool too.

The one thing I'm disliking about my 50 right now, besides the pure lack of power with the stock airbox and exhaust, is the huge lag in the clutch. I'm thinking of going manual because of this. Any suggestions. Thanks.

im also thinking about a 50, but im having a hard time finding a used crf, i can find the xr's no problem, whats the real difference between the two. And didnt honda quit making the xr?

also takagawa vs. kitaco engine mods, any real difference or just preferences

im also thinking about a 50, but im having a hard time finding a used crf, i can find the xr's no problem, whats the real difference between the two. And didnt honda quit making the xr?

the XR and CRF are the SAME BIKE! they only changed the plastics and the CRF's have no rubber pad on the kickstarter. If you bought an XR, you could put any color CRF plastic you wanted on it! it will bolt right on. :thumbsup: it was only the style of plastics that made one an XR (2000 - 2003) and the other a CRF (2004 and up) :ride::applause:

oh sh!t, my neighbor is selling a 2001 xr for $600, he tried to get his kid into riding but he doesnt like it, ive seen his dad trying to get him to putt around the yard...oh well, his loss!!

thanks for the help!!

sorry, also the takagawa vs kitaco, any difference their either?

$600 sounds like a deal if it's only purpose was trying to teach a youngster to ride! (shouldn't be thrashed then) you could buy it, put CRF plastics/graphics on it, tall seat kit, and tall bar kit and have a nice little CRF for under a grand!! :thumbsup::ride:

the XR and CRF are the SAME BIKE! they only changed the plastics and the CRF's have no rubber pad on the kickstarter. If you bought an XR, you could put any color CRF plastic you wanted on it! it will bolt right on. :thumbsup: it was only the style of plastics that made one an XR (2000 - 2003) and the other a CRF (2004 and up) :ride::applause:

The plastic is a direct bolt on? For some reason I thought the mounts on the gas tank were different.

The plastic is a direct bolt on? For some reason I thought the mounts on the gas tank were different.

NOPE!! they're exactly the same! i bet the part numbers are the same no matter what year tank you get. i've updated many XR's to CRF's :thumbsup::ride:

OK cool. I was thinking of eventually buying white XR plastic so I could use the Sano Patriot graphics. The XR plastic is so boring, though! I wish they made the Patriot graphics for CRF plastic.

Anyway, can anybody help me more with my bar kit dilema? The FiveO, Red Baron, and Sano bar kits are my main choices right now. The ADA Racing kit looks good too. I've searched and haven't been able to find much info or user reviews on any of these sets. The only thing I read was one person saying that the Sano billet throttle had an extremely long throw. Is this true? Also billet or plastic tubes and why? I'm going to order a bar kit as soon as I make my decision, but like I said I don't have much info to help me.