Sign in to follow this  

Cracked Rim on 06.

I was having some tires installed on my 06 on saturday and the guy noticed my rear rim was cracked. I wish I could have taken a picture with the tire off but it's cracked through the side about 1/2 - 3/4 inch. When the tire is off it matches up with the weld on the inside of the rim.

What is my best option here as I don't have anywhere around that can install the spokes?

Can I send in my spokes, etc. and get them installed on the new rim or would I have to buy a complete rim kit. I think a complete rim set would be way more $$ than I want to spend.

Or maybe a used rim off ebay would be OK but I worry that the rim won't have any warranty and might not last.

Any other ideas?

I cracked the rim on my 03 in the same place and just got it welded.

Did it hold up or is it still holding up?

I guess I could have that done and see what happens. It would be a lot cheaper than replacing the rim.

ANy other advice?

relacing a wheel is really not hard at all. Take a couple of pics before you take it apart and not which spokes go on which side.

It sounds like a normal weld. If you put the tire back on, it must not be bad. I broke a prowheel that had a defective weld. It was broken, no putting it back on.

Thanks for the link ProMed. I have seen the Warp9's before but do not really want to get a hwole new kit unless I have to. Is there anywhere I can send my stock hub and spokes to and get them to lace and true it to a new rim? I'm hoping that would be cheaper than $350.

cj-S4 - The tire went right on and I even rode with it a godd 3 or 4 hours that day. It's just that feeling of "what if". I don't do big air or anything but I still am worried that it could cause me to wreck if I continue jumping with it.

If I were you I would just take the spokes and hub off and get a cheap rim somewhere (ebay, local bike salvage) and just put your old hubs and spokes on the rim. It's pretty easy.

If I were you I would just take the spokes and hub off and get a cheap rim somewhere (ebay, local bike salvage) and just put your old hubs and spokes on the rim. It's pretty easy.

Have you ever done it yourself? I've heard it is recommended to get it trued by a machine. I've read horror stories about having the spokes too tight/loose so I don't want to mess anything up.

I'll consider it but if anyone knows of an online place to do it I would like to hear from them.

Have you ever done it yourself? I've heard it is recommended to get it trued by a machine. I've read horror stories about having the spokes too tight/loose so I don't want to mess anything up.

I'll consider it but if anyone knows of an online place to do it I would like to hear from them.

Yeah, but my rim wasn't cracked, i just took off my old spokes (and there were some missing). I have this thing that you can hook your wheel up to and spin it and it shows you were to tighten your spokes, it's kind of hard to explain but it makes it A LOT easier. Of course this is useless if your rim is bent at all.

Did that kit come with the correct sizes for your 450, or did you have to buy extra heads?

Both sizes needed for the 450 were part of the 5 included heads. It is one my favorite tools when I can keep my buddies from stealing it.