Sign in to follow this  

'04 WR250 Internittant spark

My WR250 died on the trail yesterday. It'll fire up after 10-30 kicks, runs like crap, then dies. I checked for spark, and intermittantly it gives a weak spark. It is definatly not the spark plug as I tried with a new plug with same result. After a couple of hours of cooldown, it started normal. I shut it down and tried in a few minutes and it was back to not sparking again. If it is heat related it may be a bit more difficult to diagnose

I was hoping one of you Husky fans could point me to a website where I can download a service manual that shows how to check out the ignition system components. The owners manual is pretty much useless for diagnosing this problem.

Anyone else had this problem? It has to be either the coil, CDI, or stator. I just don't want to shotgun the problem and end up replacing everything. Next race is 4 weeks off, so I have some time but would really like to get some practice in before then.

I'll be checking back periododically as I've been out of town for a few days and have alot of chores to catch up on. Any ideas you have will be greatly appreciated.

If it seems to be heat related I would look to the coil. Then the CDI. Did you do anything like a big water crossing or anything unusual right before this issue started?

K

No water related issues. It's so dry up here I couldn't even find a mudhole to dunk my head in and cool off during my 2 mile hike back to the truck. Hiking up and down the hilly trail in moto boots and pants about took the life out of me. Good thing though, the bike died as I was crossing a forest road and I didn't have to push it out of the woods.

I'm hoping it's the coil. I might try rigging up the coil off the gasgas just to see if spark returns. I'm hoping to find out the correct ohms readings first so I can check with a meter.

Thread derailment in progress...

Regarding your GasGas how does it compare to the WR250?

The first thing I would check would be the kill switch. You would be surprised how many "no-spark" problems I have seen caused by shorted kill switches.

The first thing I would check would be the kill switch. You would be surprised how many "no-spark" problems I have seen caused by shorted kill switches.

Thought of that, first thing I did was disconnect the kill switch.

Thanks and keep 'em coming.

Thread derailment in progress...

Regarding your GasGas how does it compare to the WR250?

They are both great woods bikes. The Gasgas lugs better and requires less shifting. The Husky forces me to ride a faster pace because it doesn't lug quite as well, but don't get me wrong, the low end is way better than any jap 2 stroke 250cc I have ridden.

The Gasgas has a much faster top speed. Not usually a great advantage except on those rare occasions where a hare scramble opens up with a 1/4 mile or longer straight stretch through the grass fields. It's kinda fun to lift up the front end for the spectators when pulling 50+ MPH.

I had a similar problem with the 360. It was the stator. Local dealer had a change over for me. Have not had a problem since.

I had a similar problem with the 360. It was the stator. Local dealer had a change over for me. Have not had a problem since.

Were you able to find the problem with an ohm meter?

Yep I had intermitant signal to the coil, swapped the CDI and it was still the same, The bike was 3 week old and my dealer changed the generator on the waranty. not had any trouble since.

Rick

04te250

UK

Are you running a resitor plug? I'm not sure if the WR 250 has the same scenario as the CR 125 but the CR125 would not handle a resistor plug. The bike came with a resistor plug out of the crate too. The bike would cut out completely at high rmps. Then fire up again. I put a non-R plug in it and it has never coughed again. Just a thought.

Yep I had intermitant signal to the coil, swapped the CDI and it was still the same, The bike was 3 week old and my dealer changed the generator on the waranty. not had any trouble since.

Rick

04te250

UK

I'll try to figure out how to monitor the stator output then. The user manual does have a wiring diagram but no info on correct resistance of the windings.

Thanks for the input!

Are you running a resitor plug? I'm not sure if the WR 250 has the same scenario as the CR 125 but the CR125 would not handle a resistor plug. The bike came with a resistor plug out of the crate too. The bike would cut out completely at high rmps. Then fire up again. I put a non-R plug in it and it has never coughed again. Just a thought.

Running an NGK BR8EG. I suppose the "R" stands for resistor. The bike is a little over a year old and has never so much as burped before with the same plug type.

Running an NGK BR8EG. I suppose the "R" stands for resistor. The bike is a little over a year old and has never so much as burped before with the same plug type.

It might be worth a $5 non R plug to see if it fixes it. The Husky 4t's like the R plugs. My 2T didn't at all. The funny thing is, my wife has the same bike, within 100 on the serial #. Her bike never had a problem with the R plug. Mine did. I put a non R plug in hers to be safe. The CR's like mine have a different ignition that the WR's, like yours. You cannot run lights with the CR ignition. I'm not really sure of anything except a lot of guys besides me had problems with the R plugs in the cr's.

If there is an R in the plug # then it is resistor.

I was told that on the 4T's if you didn't run an R plug that there is some sort of scenario where you could fry your ignition using a non R plug. It had to do with not having a good connection in conjunction with running a non R plug.

I think Husky had a problem show up at sometime and just covered their butts by putting R plugs in all the bikes.

Check your ground at the coil I just had a 2006 WR250 in the shop thursday with the same problem. I found a broken ground at the coil on the left mount bolt. just a shot good luck.

Jeff

I had the resistor plug issue on my new 04 CR125 as well. I'm guessing this is not his issue as my CR125 would fall on it's face at more than half throttle, could not really even be ridden this way.

K

Had a look on the ngk uk website, www.ngkntk.co.uk they say the resister plugs should be fitted to all motors that have an ECU.

There is no effect to performance the resister is 5000ohm and it prevents electrical noise interfering with the engine control unit.

If one isn't fitted it can cause misfires or total immobillisation.

Rick

04te250

UK

Had a look on the ngk uk website, www.ngkntk.co.uk they say the resister plugs should be fitted to all motors that have an ECU.

There is no effect to performance the resister is 5000ohm and it prevents electrical noise interfering with the engine control unit.

If one isn't fitted it can cause misfires or total immobillisation.

Rick

04te250

UK

All I know is they do not work on an '04 CR125 with the electronic ignition. Maybe it is NGK that is covering their ass.

Symtoms with the R plug, pin it, it gets to about 85 to 90% of it's top RPM and it feels like you hit the kill switch. It will light up again at lower RPM'S and then die again at higher RPM'S. Put a non R plug in it and it rev's to the moon everytime.

Check your ground at the coil I just had a 2006 WR250 in the shop thursday with the same problem. I found a broken ground at the coil on the left mount bolt. just a shot good luck.

Jeff

I'll check it all over well before starting to trouble shoot tomorrow. Thanks.