Sign in to follow this  

db level stock pipe 450X?

Hi All,

Does any one know the db level of a stock pipe on the 450X?

Mine is 100% stock 06 california bike, I have read so many post about opening up the air box, removing smog, JD jetting kit and adding a pipe. I see a 93db pipe from FMF. I absolutely don't want a louder bike. Can I leave the stock pipe and do the above sucessfuly?

Thanks for all the help!

Ranco, 06 CFR450X, CA Lc plate! Santa Clarita, CA

the db's onthe stock pipe with baffle in is under 90. I am pretty sure the black sticker onthe fender tells the db level. The stock pipe without the baffle in is 96db +-1db

Hi All,

Mine is 100% stock 06 california bike, I have read so many post about opening up the air box, removing smog, JD jetting kit and adding a pipe. I see a 93db pipe from FMF. I absolutely don't want a louder bike. Can I leave the stock pipe and do the above sucessfuly?

Thanks for all the help!

Honda says it's 89 db.

You can definitely improve performance and keep the stock pipe, but it would still be a good idea to get a better pipe than the stock one.

You would go up about 5db if you went with a FMF "Q" with a spark aresstor, and good packing. That is still pretty quiet. Plus, to motor will respond better to the "uncorking" mods, and will run much better.

Most of these quiet pipes are only a few db louder that stock right up to the point where you really get on the throttle, then they get noticalbly louder.

let it be known that 96db is loud. 94 is key. I will get an aftermarket pipe soon to help out the p an p that rhc did

Hi All,

Thanks for all the help!

Yes, you can do the above mods using the stock pipe. The gains are so microscopic, if any, with an aftermarket exhaust that it is a total waste of money. So you might want to consider saving your hard earned money for gas or something useful, like suspension upgrades. Loud bikes just piss off the rest of the world and cost us ALL places to ride.

Yes, you can do the above mods using the stock pipe. The gains are so microscopic, if any, with an aftermarket exhaust that it is a total waste of money. So you might want to consider saving your hard earned money for gas or something useful, like suspension upgrades. Loud bikes just piss off the rest of the world and cost us ALL places to ride.

Thanks all for the feed back, being quiet is a must for me, I assume you mean without aftermarket pipe in above post. I share trails with horses, so far we all get along very well. Need to keep it that way. FYI, dirt bikes repair what horses do to tight trails, true equestrians know this. Let's all play together, a must for me as I own and enjoy both.

Ranco, 06 CRF450x, CA plated, Santa Clarita, CA

AHHH! the voice of reason, let's all stand up and cheer for the less sound crowd :thumbsup: I did the J.D. Boyesen quick shot, de-smogged, opened up the air box etc. and DID NOT TOUCH THE PIPE. Bike runs great, and is quiet.

Shady,

But that makes it louder which I think he specifically said he did not want to do.

by the way, the best free mod for the x is removing the baffle. it adds a lot of tourqe and better throttle response. For a cali bike the smog block off is a must

Yeah. The best free, LOUD mod.

Less sound, more ground.

Quiet is priority one, besides next to my old XR600 this thing dead stock ROCKS.

We absolutely, positively MUST keep our bikes quiet. You should have seen the cute couple up at Troy Meadows this weekend with the 500-dollar fly rods and matching outfits from Orvis. How thy frowned when the MXer wannabees thundered by on their flatulent-cow-from-hell-sounding red stickered beasts. They will be writing to thier congressman, I'm sure.

Minor sound (thumper) improvement, minor performance improvement, and minimal noise increase can be achieved by trimming the baffle plates off the end "plug". Just gone through the exercise and can conclude that stock is too wierd (sound wise), baffle out is too loud. :thumbsup:

We absolutely, positively MUST keep our bikes quiet. You should have seen the cute couple up at Troy Meadows this weekend with the 500-dollar fly rods and matching outfits from Orvis. How thy frowned when the MXer wannabees thundered by on their flatulent-cow-from-hell-sounding red stickered beasts. They will be writing to thier congressman, I'm sure.

I think we saw the same people up in tahoe. We were flying down a dirt road and we could see them over the crest. WE slowed down to first gear on a softball sized rock cover road and were standing up to keep balanced. We were going no more then 10mph and they motioned for us to slow down. &%$#@!???? Any slower would have been pushing our bikes.

Master14 and I have had our fair share of differences in the past, but he's dead nuts on with that statement. :thumbsup:

Besides, how many people here can actually do a 100 mile offroad ride faster with an open exhaust. I doubt there are very few here who would be faster - and I bet even more would be slower (fatigue). :applause:

And you know what I like best about my quiet bike? Sneaking up and passing my buddies with their loud exhausts. It pisses them off, and I love it :ride:

Blah, blah, blah...you need that last bit of horsepower to pop over a rock (as an example) or something...there you go, blaming it on the bike. Remember, guys were probably going over that rock long before you on XR250s. :applause:

by the way, the best free mod for the x is removing the baffle. it adds a lot of tourqe and better throttle response. For a cali bike the smog block off is a must

Dead stock this bike has all the power need, given my need/desire for quiet I am keeping the stock pipe. With the stock pipe will recomended mods help measurably? Will removing just the smog help?

Thanks, Ranco

Great info...

Not speaking from experience here, but I heard that the stock pipe (end) is extremely heavy. Can you get a lighter end that maintains the same stock db range?