Sign in to follow this  

Another Tire Thread

I am trying to find a tire to replace my Maxxis Maxxcross HT tire. My bike is a 2001 and this is the stock tire so its never been replaced. I am looking for an intermediate tire. I want a tire that will give me good grip in hard/soft terrain and will last a long time. I have been looking at:

Maxxis Maxxcross IT

Michelin Starcross MH3 Intermdiate/Hard

Kenda Millville Sticky Medium

Dunlop D739 Intermediate

What tire will do well for my needs?

Kenda-Use the Carlesbad instead

Dunlop- use the D952 instead

Maxxis- The IT is a VERY long lasting tire. I have only gone through 2 of them since last november. They do not give the best grip, but if you are not very serious and you are riding easy terrain then that is not a big deal.

What bike are you riding?

I am looking for an intermediate tire. I want a tire that will give me good grip in hard/soft terrain and will last a long time. I have been looking at:

Maxxis Maxxcross IT

Michelin Starcross MH3 Intermdiate/Hard

Kenda Millville Sticky Medium

Dunlop D739 Intermediate

The Maxxis is a decent all-around tire, with excellent tread life, but they are a bitch to mount because of the stiff sidewall, and they are quite heavy, enough that you can feel the difference in unsprung weight in rough stuff. I won't buy another one because of the weight issue.

The Starcross is a good tire. It will tend to chunk in rocks, though.

The Millville is probably the best intermediate budget tire you can buy. It performs nearly as well as the major-name-brand tires, lasts lomger than most, and has a great price. Like the Maxxis, it is a bit heavy.

The 739 is not an intermediate tire. It absolutely won't grip on anything softer than concrete. I think they are horrible tires. If you want a Dunlop, the 756 is the best performing in soft and intermediae terrain, but they wear rather quickly. The 952 is longer lasting, but it's not quite as good in the really soft stuff.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Pirelli MT16. I think I'll give that a try next.

i ride so. cali mostly desert stuff...i run a dunlop 739 desert at...it wears really good, and hooks up as well as a tire can on a kx 500...works 4 me in the mud,sand,rocks,whatever i have thrown at it...8 ply tire, so its super stiff and a real pain in the butt to change, but if you get a flat, it will get you home...just my 2 cents

Get the maxxis it. It wasn't that hard to mount I think it took about 30-40 min.

maxxis it...handles good and wears good too. mine has about 100mi of woods and you can barely see the front corners rounding. :thumbsup:

The tire will be on the rear of a TTR-125. It's a play bike, but I put that thing through hell. I need a tire that will give me the grip I need and also to wear like iron because of the places I take it.

Get the maxxis it. It wasn't that hard to mount I think it took about 30-40 min.

Either it IS a hard tire to mount or you need to work on your tire changing skills.

Just put a Pirelli MT18 on my son's TTR 125L this weekend. Easy install. We haven't rode on it yet , hopefully we'll give it a workout next weekend. We trail ride & deal with a lot of rocky trails at Tower City. Will let everyone know how it performs on a regular basis. Getting ready to order the front tire for his bike as well. Will also be a Pirelli MT18. We're replacing Dunlops. They were for soft to intermediate & only lasted about 50 miles, but were not the right tire for the terrane we ride on.

Rich - TTR250

Jesse - TTR125L

Either it IS a hard tire to mount or you need to work on your tire changing skills.

Hey that was record time for me :thumbsup:

For a TTR125...........get the Maxxis I/T. I just don't see you needing more tire than that and it will last a long time too. :thumbsup:

Maxxis Desert IT hooks-up much better than the Dunlop 952. The 952 is garbage like the 739 up front IMHO. Pirelli MT16 or MT18HD is good as is the D756. I go through two rear tires a month and have used about all of them. Maxxis Desert IT lasts the longest, then the D739, then the D952 (current tire). I am tossing the D952 front tire right now. Going back to the Maxxis Desert IT. Best all around cheap front tire. Also, use the best HD tube you can find. :thumbsup: