Sign in to follow this  

Call me lucky...

After changing oil, I was astonished by the noise the head made and listened carefully.

I lost half of my oil content during a dual sport ride in the north of France, probably with hight temperatures in combination with high RPM's on tarmac on the way home (approx. 1 hr).

Is there any correlation between and overstretched worn out cam chain (12.000 km's, 2005 model S) and loss of oil?

I decided to pull the ACCT and it was on notch 11 of 11! :thumbsup:

And now my question: I saw on the picture of the APE MCCT tensioner that it can be turned inward way further.

I know I am due for a chain change within weeks, perhaps months, but would I be able to continue mild riding? Or has the deterioration of the chain advanced so far that it would be a matter of days?

Could the change of chain be combined with mounting a kick starter?

Thanks,

Noppy :ride:

P.S. I never recal to have seen any notice in the service manual to check you ACCT's position at a certain milage. Am I correct?

Why would you wait and continue to ride it knowing that it's done? :thumbsup:

Big risk in my opinion................. :ride:

I decided to pull the ACCT and it was on notch 11 of 11! :ride:

I thought that the ACCT fully extended as you remove it, it works on spring pressure

and as such has no way of knowing that it is being removed, just that there is some slack, which it takes up.

And no I would not ride it if you think the chain is worn out.

Neil.

:thumbsup::applause::applause:

Eddie, Neil, thanks for your replies :thumbsup:

Eddie, do I need to be in the kickstarter area in order to change the chain? Then I might as well do that right away!

NOppy

not Eddie by a long shot but I can answer this if you like.

yes, you need to be under the same cover as the kick starter.

there is no connection between oil consumption and cam chain wear.

the acct extends as you remove it. look for wear marks where the greenish coating has been worn off. The teeth of the ratchet mechanism will be shiny and chewed up. That is how far it has been extended.

Don't know the recommended interval for cam chain replacement but at 12000km you're probably close. I got 20000km out of mine but it was more than due when I took it out. I wouldn't risk it, it is an easy repair and fairly cheap insurance.

the acct extends as you remove it.
Only if you forget to remove the hex head cap screw, which relives the tension on the spring :thumbsup: (2003 and up) Or with the older types, there is a lock screw which works,,,,,sometimes :applause: .. If you want to be sure, remove the cap screw,collapse the ACCT plunger, reinstall the ACCT, install the cap screw and spring, rotate the motor a few times.. remove cap screw & spring.. remove ACCT, see how far it is extended.... Turn toward the garage door, wait for local traffic to pass, throw ACCT as far as you can... If it was extended more then half way.. replace the Cam chain, install an MCCT. Go ride...and never mess with it again :ride:

Only if you forget to remove the hex head cap screw, which relives the tension on the spring pQuote]

oh yeah, that's right

remove ACCT, see how far it is extended.... Turn toward the garage door, wait for local traffic to pass, throw ACCT as far as you can... If it was extended more then half way.. replace the Cam chain, install an MCCT. Go ride...and never mess with it again :thumbsup:

:ride::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

the perfect solution!

Nice synopsis Bronco. I pulled my ACCT last night just for fun, but I pulled the spring first. When I pulled the rest of the unit out I could see how far the adjuster had extended (just as Bronco described).

Has anyone tried converting their ACCT into an MCCT? :thumbsup: It appears it would be an easy enough thing to do. Take the plunger out, tap threads to extend them deeper into the plunger bore allowing same adjustable range as original spring set up, reinstall plunger, replace original hex bolt and spring with longer hex bolt w/ jam nut and o-ring. Seems like it would work exactly the same as the MCCT on sale in the TT store. Just an idea, I'm not trying to reduce the TT store revenues! :ride:

Has anyone tried converting their ACCT into an MCCT? :thumbsup: It appears it would be an easy enough thing to do. Take the plunger out, tap threads to extend them deeper into the plunger bore allowing same adjustable range as original spring set up, reinstall plunger, replace original hex bolt and spring with longer hex bolt w/ jam nut and o-ring. Seems like it would work exactly the same as the MCCT on sale in the TT store. Just an idea, I'm not trying to reduce the TT store revenues! :ride:

Someone has done just as you described.. Have no idea how well it worked out for him.

Nice synopsis Bronco. I pulled my ACCT last night just for fun, but I pulled the spring first. When I pulled the rest of the unit out I could see how far the adjuster had extended (just as Bronco described).

the ACCT is crappy cast aluminum.there is very little material to tap threads in.

we used to do this way back when.works ok,but it is not the same as a actaul billet MCCT.

P.S. I never recall to have seen any notice in the service manual to check you ACCT's position at a certain milage. Am I correct?

Anyone know the page number with a reference to checking the ACCT?

Noppy

Anyone know the page number with a reference to checking the ACCT?

Noppy

I don't believe your manual has such a reference due to the fact that Suzuki is the last to admit that the ACCT can cause any type of problems :ride: .....they would rather sell you valves and cam chains. The ACCT was designed as a "leave it alone" component as a lot of people don't seem to have the ability to wrench on their bikes. The MCCT is a "no fail/no stretch" solution that only requires you to check adjustment once or twice a year :thumbsup: ...(best to check when you check your valves)

Wow 12 000 km on a chain, that sounds crappy. My stock chain has almost triple that amount on it :thumbsup:

A guy from overseas did it last year, I e-mailed him some pics and measurements of the mcct and the 03 acct to work off of. It did work out for him initially but haven't heard about it lately but would assume it is still working.