Sign in to follow this  

Have you guys checked out Goggle Earth before?

This free download is just awsome!! You can view your downloaded gpx files off your GPS with it. You can save them & others on this site. You can view very close up stuff any where in the world. It just blew me away when I started checking it out. I thought I'd post this cuz' i did a search & did not come up w/anything on the Thumpertalk Forum. Here is a pic of San Felipe. You can see The Baja Miramar & the old Bearded Clam bldg, you can even see the Rockadile on the bottom of the screen. sorry for such a big pic but I wanted you guys to see this.

Here is the link for Goggle Earth:

http://download-earth.org/?engine=adwords!722&keyword=%28googleearth%29&match_type=&gclid=CPLZ4aL2y4YCFSdBDgodbGLB4Q

Sanfelipe.jpg

Here is another pic of the Mexico map w/some stuff I already added. The blue line is an old ride from somebody I added. You can add your waypoints & it even has a line measurement & a path measurement so you can track miles. There is nothing worse than running out of fuel! mapofmexico.jpg

The top URL doesn't work for me. I thought you had to pay $20 for the Plus version to be able to import GPS files. Are you sure you're using the 'free' version?

GE has been around for some time now, a year or so...so you might not get a huge response, but thanks from all those that have missed out til this point. It's a great tool.

It's definitely a real nice tool. Even with the free version, the absolute beauty of it is that you can take coordinates off any point on any trail you see and rest assured that those coordinates will be more accurate than trying to take them off the same trail on a map. The detail is pretty incredible. Unfortunately, you will find lots of areas that did not get a clean image and it is blurred. At some time they will take new images and a clean one will replace it. However, I have also found where a clean image was replaced with one that is blurry so you have to take the good with the bad.

Here is the link to click on.

OK I just fixed the link. Guess I just had to learn how to use it.

To answer you question the link is for the free software. The plus version has more stuff but the free version is worth downloading. I built a line from Camalu to El Rosario w/it so we'll see how it goes.

The Satellite maps are getting better and better in Goggle, more and more detailed maps now available.

I use Google Maps to upload my tracks/waypoints to for fun and to plan some routes. We're trying to find a way across one mountain range and Google maps and the Baja Explorer maps are pretty accurate.

Here's an example of a spot from one of my tracks

GPS Track Example

i have google earth. ive been using it for a while now. i havent figured out how to use any other the goodies that are on it. i just use it soley for driving directions, vacation things such as hotels *well my parents do*, and to haunt people cause i can tell them what their house looks like lol. it is a pretty neat program.

The Satellite maps are getting better and better in Goggle, more and more detailed maps now available.

I use Google Maps to upload my tracks/waypoints to for fun and to plan some routes. We're trying to find a way across one mountain range and Google maps and the Baja Explorer maps are pretty accurate.

Here's an example of a spot from one of my tracks

GPS Track Example

That looks like a cool ride. Is it like 20 miles east of La Paz? My goal has been to get down there on bikes. This years Baja 1000 will go down there so I am trying to plan some trail riding in hopes that my buddies still want to make that trip happen. We'll see though. We are leaving for Erendira tomorrow for a ride that will hopefully get us down to a place that I input as "whole in the ground" check it out on Goggle Earth. No one seems to have been there before. I am active in a few forums for bikes & GPS sites & nothing so far so I would like to check it out & send out some pics.

That looks like a cool ride. Is it like 20 miles east of La Paz?

Good eye, yes that's about where it is. We're trying to find a route from La Ventana to south of Las Cruces. I'm not good enough to go over killer stuff so that'll make it tough/impossible for me probably but we've gotten further up each time with me getting better and the mapping getting more reliable.

Oh, here's a pic of one of the spots on that ride- looking towards where we're trying to get over:

http://www.cablelan.net/vistaww/dirtbike/images/smIMGP0186.jpg

And another one of the "Rock Garden": http://www.cablelan.net/vistaww/dirtbike/images/xsIMGP0186.jpg

Another of a different route but the same mountains in the background:

http://www.cablelan.net/vistaww/Dirtbike/images/smIMGP0210.JPG

Any one have the coordinates for Ramonas? I want to mark it on my google earth map.

N32 00.270 W115 56.890

Did you get my email about 9/22?

:thumbsup:

Hey Nexrace-

I notice you have the track up Arroyo Grande in yellow on that map. Have you been up that? (the yellow track north and east of blue line up to Mikes).

Its a really wild place with lots of history.

I did it years ago. Never met anyone else who has ever ridden it. Very cool!

Here is another pic of the Mexico map w/some stuff I already added. The blue line is an old ride from somebody I added. You can add your waypoints & it even has a line measurement & a path measurement so you can track miles. There is nothing worse than running out of fuel! mapofmexico.jpg