Sign in to follow this  

FMF factory fatty

I bought a used factory fatty for the 06 yz 250. I tried the pipe today.

It does not cost low end like the pro circuit pipe does. Low, midrange and top feel pretty good........hey, wait. The stock pipe does as well. Come to think of it, this 249.00 wonder pipe performs identically to the stock 06 pipe. Maybe I am on to something here.....The throttle response is not as good as the stock pipe. At least they changed somehting.

I paid 60.00 for the pipe. I would be pissed if I had paid 249.00. Now I am slightly amused.

This pipe will now be added to the collection on the wall. It should work well as the pro circuit pipe looks lonely. I like riding with the DEP pipe much better. The dep pipe outperforms everything I have used to date.

My friend asked me about the fmf pipe. He said, "Well, what did you think?"

I said, "Get two of them. Crap on the first one and cover it up with the second."

If the stock pipe rates a 9, this one is a 6.5 to 7. It does not really hurt anything, but is of little value.

that because its a suzuki(jk), while a yz is poerfect as it is....STOCK. but really, my yz runs better than my friends yz with the shorty and torque reeds, it pulls harder through the whole band, and now that i have a 52 t sprocket on the rear, my bike pulls crazy hard.

I would say it works "pretty good" as well. For the price I am afraid pretty good is not enough. We allready had that with the stock system.

Obviously the stock bike is enough. The power is excellent. This si more of an exercise in having fun rather than needing aperformance boost.

The factory fatty also brought back the midrange ping. Although this ping can be jetted out, you lose performance when you do so. The dep pipe does not ping.

I left that part out, but I did adjust jetting for the pipe. Still, it was nothing special.

I will stay with the stocker.....and waste my money on more bling! :thumbsup:

RC...did you get some of these yet??? They are awesome in fucntion and form. (yeah I know ....but mine were ebay specials) :ride: SORRY FOR THE HIJACK :applause:

a0ced429.jpg

Satch, I had a set of the steel lightspeeds. They transfered right over to the new bike. They are not as good looking as your ti pegs, but the feel is excellent.

Thats one mod I really felt was worthwhile. Pegs sound like one of those "who cares" things, but are a great mod.

I love my Factory Fatty. I'll admit that on the stock yz, it does perform much like stock. I just tried my buddies 450 with Lightspeed pegs today and I will be getting some soon. I like the grip. I was still 2 secs a lap slower on his bike. When we drag race, it a dead heat. But when I ride that thing, it wears me out.

i am picking up a factory fatty mainly because it looks cool. my stocker is beat to piss lol.

Never tries it, however when i rode a 2 smoke i had teh FMF Fatty and Turbine Core II setup then a PC Platnium and type 296 SA silencer. That looks good tho, try it and tell us how u like it! BTW, why is the title FMF Fatty? I think you would get more people if it said Zipty Pipes...

I saw the zip tye pipe once. It was very good looking. It has some sort of an aluminum like finish on it. I did not get to ride with it, however.

i am picking up a factory fatty mainly because it looks cool. my stocker is beat to piss lol.

RM, you may want to check into the DEP pipe. Cost is about the same. It looks just as good, but performance is far better.

Rcannon is bang on the money. Having tried most of them the only front pipe I will run is the DEP. I've got Doma/ Pro-circuit and DEP and had FMF sst. The DEP appears the only pipe that is not just for looks. Theres a dyno on the website if you interested but the real world is where I was suprised to find it delivered as promised.

Mine(2005 yz250) currently runs with a procircuit 304 silencer,Not the shorty(which I also have) as that sounds like some old farm bike and makes if anything less power.

The DEP pipe just pulls earlier and longer than stock, you can back off up real steep 4th gear climbs, open the throttle and it instantly pulls back on the pipe. It's like a sharper crisper version of stock. The overrev means you can hold a gear longer and leave out some shifts.

All the others traded a lot of power low down for very little if any gain elsewhere. The FMF was downright nasty, it always pinged no matter what I tried and eventually killed the piston. Utter garbage.

I've also tried all the different types of silencers, just use what you like the look of as IMHO they all perform about the same. No suprise considering they are basically straight through perforated tube of the same internal diameter and pretty much the same length. As stated I use the 304 as it looks nice, stock performed just as well.

I only race MX but am more than happy with current set-up. The bike puts me up into the top five into the first corner every race with numerous holeshots against 450 and all. The rider is the big let down......

RCannon

just curious, what silencer did you run w/ the fatty?

I believe that the Zip-Ty pipe has been coated with a special ceramic coating to Ty Davis' specs. That is why it looks the way it does. Never tried it, but he seems to have it specially made based upon his need/desires.

Welcome Stimps!!!

Great review as well!

Thats what I like about this particular forum is we actually share personal reviews which can save others money and also lead others in the right direction.

RM, you may want to check into the DEP pipe. Cost is about the same. It looks just as good, but performance is far better.

i probably would if i could find one cheap, but one of the local pros is gonna sell me his factory fatty and shorty set up for $100