Sign in to follow this  

Need help w/Brake light that stays on

I just picked up an '03 DRZ400S a couple days ago. Yesterday I noticed the rear brake light stays on all the time, weird.

I can hear a little click from the front brake sending unit, but the sending unit for the rear brake is damn near inaccessible. I messed around with the adjustment of the rear brake pedal, but no matter what I try, the brake light stays activated.

Any troubleshooting ideas?

Also, how exactly does the rear brake sending unit receive the signal that the rear brake pedal is being activated? On my streetbike, the brake lever is hooked via a small spring to the sending unit, so it knows when you're pushin' on the brake pedal. On the DRZ I see no such spring attached to the sending unit, though the height-adjustment bolt/nut touches a round metal plate that seems to be attached to the sending unit...does this open/close the circuit to the sending unit?

Thanks for any help!

you should hear a little click when the brass plunger goes up, if not then loosen the lock bolt and adjust the plunger downward until you open the circuit

Thanks BassMan, I wasn't sure if that part WAS a plunger til you said that...because my rear brake plunger wasn't plunging against the brake switch. :thumbsup:

I took it off and disassembled the plunger mechanism, turns out it was cocked slightly sideways in the plunger bore because there was just enough dirt inside the bore to bind the plunger.

I cleaned out the dirt, polished the slightly scarred plunger and plunger bore with fine sandpaper, greased the plunger, and it works fine now.

It's tricky trying to remove the plunger/brake switch bracket, the little 10mm bolt is difficult to see, and you need a short socket since there's hardly any room up in there behind the frame.