Sign in to follow this  

Tw200?

Hi,

My family is looking at getting a few newer bikes (we have been pretty die hard with the hondas for a long, but all the sudden my parents decided other manufactuers are fine (go figure)) We are looking at dual sports cuz many of the places we ride we have to take roads to get there. Went out to the motorcycle store today and saw the yamaha tw200 and like it cuz we don't want something huge like a 650.

Does anyone have any input on this bike? :thumbsup: or :ride: or major problems to know about?

Thanks so much!

Fun little bike . If you're going to putt its a great bike. It's almost as heavy as a 650r. It really feels lighter because your're so low. It tops out about 60mph. The bikes are solid, the engine has been around forever. I've had a couple . Fun to putt the kids around . It gets a little hairy at fast trail speeds . the newer years with the front disc help a lot.

Thanks for the reply, yeah they're not really into the whole going fast thing on the trails or on the road just want to putt around and have some fun riding together

Great bike. My son had one of the first ones when he was about 14. (god, that was 20 years ago!!) It was stone reliable and he did amazing things with it. Of course, he does amazing things with anything that has wheels. They've been building that thing long enough there shouldn't be any glitches left. If you don't mind looking like a RV camper, go for it.

These are for my parents they don't care what they look like they are a drastic improvement over our current bikes

XT 225 for your mom and DRZ 400S for your dad. I think your dad would get bored with a TW 200 or an XT 225 if he has any experience riding

I have a TW200 and love it. Bought it for my wife but I ride it every chance I get. I have lots of riding experience and this thing makes me laugh and smile when I ride it. E-start, reliable was invented for this bike and the tires make for a great ride.

DR200 - Good trail bike - low seat height - 85 mpg - cruises OK at 55-60 - tops out at 75-80

Thanks so much for the input everyone, it sounds like they are good little bikes

(just to clarify, my dad is not really that great of a rider and my mom is more of a street rider so it sounds like a good bike for them) it also sounds like a good bike for my little brother when he gets a little older and gets a little more clutch control. Thanks for all your input!

i was thinking about getting one for the winter.how are they in the snow?

past bikes for me include xr250, dr350 and i currently ride a drz400s...and my wife's tw200... it is great on sand (different than a big bike where you skim the top at speed; on the tw, you kind of jeep along), so i imagine it is good on snow.

I must admit; when I ride with my kids, i prefer the tw over the 400... until other people come by with legitimate bikes... and I feel kind of embarassed... like I want to tell everybody I have a REAL bike too (no cracks about the drz being a fake bike)... but since my ego can handle it, it's ok.