Sign in to follow this  

Day run - Baja ride recap (w/pics) with the Girlfriend!

SO... I wanted to ride Baja, and had been promising my GF (Stacey) that we'd get some break in time on her brand new TRX450. I had a couple offers to ride Baja (with the boys) for a 2 dayer to San Quintin... however, felt bad there was a brand new quad in the garage with no hours on it, and the promises that were attached to that guilt.

I decided to take the GF down to Baja, show her some of the 500 course and the sights of the coast. The plan was to stop 50 miles from Santo Tomas, turning around and heading back. Wherever that took us I didn't care, other than making sure we had fuel. So we headed out towards Erindera, where I knew there was fuel.

We ended up riding with Reed and Nadia (who Reed rode on the back of his KX500 for the entire 160 mile trip!). He had called the night prior and said he was "in". I'm not sure Nadia knew what she was in for!

We left a bit late Sat. am... and headed to Santo Tomas. Once at Santo Tomas, we geared up and headed out for the proposed gas spot of Erindera (with beautiful 72-78 degree weather). We rode a bit and got to the coast where we stopped and took some pictures. Explaining some of the terrain and what we've just been on is the 'fast' stuff (pure road) and we'll get to some more technical "fun" stuff (Jeep trail).

We ended up at Erindera sooner than I expected... and with less ridden miles than expected. I then asked if the girls were doing okay and that they could make some more distance without hurting too much on the way home. They both loved it and wanted more! I asked the 3 of them, "so... you guys want to head down to a cool restaurant that I know of, it's not too far from here?" :thumbsup: When I was also having a blonde moment and couldn't remember if the restaurant was West of Colonet or Camalu. Must be the "C"s huh?! DOH! So once we were in the area and West of Colonet I remembered exactly where it was... waaaay down by Camalu! :applause: OOps.

We rode without a hitch the entire way. My GF and I had radio communication (we use Yaesu VX-170s and BajaD's $185 headset/mic combo) so that worked out GREAT! I could ask her if she was okay... and usually it was "ya, I'm okay". However, I'd occasionally get the "my thumb hurts" (she had a thumb throttle) or "I can't hold on... my arms are tired". However she pressed on... and we'd stop every so often to let her rest as well as Nadia who was on the back of Reed's bike. She too was very impressive with no complaining. Amazing at how she continued to worry more about us "guys" not getting a good hard ride in, being we had to go much slower than normal. Amazing women...!!

We got to the restaurant finally, and had a few beers. Ate some much needed food, and talked about our trek. Most of the way I'd let Stacey know (over the radio) that she was on actual Baja 500 course. What was funny is her comment "I could do this" (meaning it's not that hard). What was most funny later when her hands couldn't hold the bars, and her thumb was about to fall off... and I asked, "now imagine doing this for 100 miles solid... at as fast as you can go speeds... with no stops..." She came back on the radio to say, "Naaa". She was so tired, she now was aware it's not that easy. Not only that but we had only ridden "roads" when she made that comment, we hadn't hit the rough stough yet where cars normally don't travel. I think she realized that those 'road' sections are what we call "fast" sections because they are easy,and allow for some time to relax while your wide open and making up some lost time.

We were done eating by 4pm or so, which is very late to be that far down when heading back. I decided it was best to ride the highway back to the trucks and make up time. As well, Stacey wouldn't have been able to hold on going back as her hands now had blisters. We got on the highway after gassing up and averaged 45mph or so. Stopping once to rest the bikes and the girls body parts... and arrived back at the trucks just as the sun was dropping, and so was the temp. It was now cold on the highway. The time was now 7:30pm.

What a great ride, great company (Reed, Nadia, and Stace!), and ultimately something Stacey loved to do and I think would do again. Maybe now she can get her body in shape for some other Baja rides!! She's soooooo sore ALL over ... it's too funny. Everywhere I touch... "Ouch... there too", she says. :applause:

For those who think not to take the kids or the wife... I think you'd be surprised at how much fun they'd have, or just how well they'd do. I was AMAZED at how much fun we all had. (I did miss the bar bashing and upper speeds when with the "boys" but ya can't have it all, all the time!).

Here's the link to the pics

:ride:

I'm bummed. A ride I could probably keep up on, and I missed it. :thumbsup:

Looks like it was a great day, the weather has been perfect huh? It's supposed to heat/humidity up later this week...

Johnny, she's a keeper...is she called 'Dusty Fox'?

Later

Rob... It would have been a great day to see ya come out and enjoy it with us. I sent out an email invite.... did ya not get it? ... and ya, you should be bummed. It was great.

Brett... BEEEE-U-TEE-FUL weather! Not humid whatsoever! And... I don't have a 'nickname' for her other than "Moe" (short for her last name)... Dusty Fox... catchy! :thumbsup:

I'm uploading most of the pics from a different camera now.... should be done soon (14% of 100). And I'll see about organizing them in ride order too.

...enjoy

Wow nice ride, I recognize some of those places from our Feb ride. Now I want to go back. I still think that two up riding is hardcore, I wouldnt do it.

I changed out both my wifes and my daughter's thumb throttles with Motion Pro. They do fine with twist. My daughter is twelve and was having serious problems with her thumb making for some bad rides. No problem now. We do 25 to 50 mile rides south of SF.

If you do another ride like this Id be in. It would be great to take my girlfriend on a ride like this, seems pretty simple for her.

First thing I did to my 05 TRX 400 was change to a thumb throttle. Already did a three day trip years ago on a quad with thumb throttle. 140-160 miles a day. Thumb was worn out after that. Stacy looks like she is in great shape from where I'm looking Johnny. :thumbsup: Guess you are talking about her riding muscles? :applause: Good ride! :ride: Steny

hehe... yup, your right Steny... her muscles need to wear into that kind of riding. Otherwise she's in great shape. :ride:

Also... she used to ride a 250R quad with a twist, and then my DS650 with a twist... and this ride, I knew she'd prefer a twist but we weren't planning the distance we did initially. Next time she's on it, she'll have a twist for sure no matter the distance or where we're to ride.

HTRDMX55... "seems pretty simple" is what my GF thought right in the beginning. 15 miles to the coast on easy road. She soon changed her mind about "easy" when we got into the Jeep trail stuff and there were whoops, ruts, rocks and other not so easy trails. Let alone the distance and fatigue that was setting in. But she still loved it!!

Great ride... the rest of the pics are up. Same link just after my camera pics and start with Reed taking a few pics while we're riding. (If you notice... lots of pics were taken when we we were riding. And one of my darn fingers gets in the way too often. Reed takes them while riding too. Pretty cool)

:thumbsup:

Awesome pics, looks like you had a blast. I met Reed and Nadia at the Tecate scrambles last year, really nice people.

Glad you all had fun.

Awesome pics, looks like you had a blast. I met Reed and Nadia at the Tecate scrambles last year, really nice people.

Glad you all had fun.

You met Reed and Martha... :ride: He's only dated Nadia for 3 months. :thumbsup:

I made the mistake of calling Martha by his old girlfriend's name prior to her... so Reed made sure to tell me this is Nadia before this trip. Damn Player!!!! LOL!

LOL, ok. I just remember seeing a guy with a KX500, footpegs and a smiling woman on the back and thought I need to meet this guy. Same guy different girl. I still have his business card somewhere.

Johnny,

Quick question....saw the map you posted. Are you using the LB Map? If so, how relaible are the dirt roads shown?

Doing some logistical planning for the 1000 in 07 ( I know the course will probably be different) and am curious if these dirt roads can be used for chase?

Sounds like a fun ride, and anytime the girl will ride with you is a bonus!

We are doing 6 days with Tim Morton in Dec this year and are really excited to be making the trip. I'm from San Diego and some of my best memories are from time spent in Baja.

Yes...the map you see is a 'snapshot' of the LB maps.

And I'm not sure how 'reliable' it is for chase access... I'd think it to be okay. You can confirm some of it with the Baja Almanac, and a little with Google Earth. I've ridden some of the 'roads' that were on my LB map and found myself at the end of a ravine with only a cow trail out. It was a killer trail, however not passable via a common 4x4. So yes, and no for reliability. As a guide, with other aids... it could be very useful.

Have fun with Tim... I've not been on a ride with them as a tour group, but had the chance and a buddy organizing it for his employees backed out (due to some employees not wanting to get hurt)... I've heard they are TOP NOTCH tours!!

And yes... the girlfriend is a trooper and a great rider! An awesome co-pilot too when she's in the chase vehicle... always smiling and making the most of it! :ride::thumbsup:

:applause:

I've been trying to get my hands on the Baja Almanac but they are apparently all sold out :thumbsup:

Haven't thought about the google earth angle...hmmm more geek stuff to play with.

Anyway....thanks for the feedback.

Safe Travels

John

saw the map you posted. how relaible are the dirt roads shown? Doing some logistical planning for the 1000 in 07 ( I know the course will probably be different) and am curious if these dirt roads can be used for chase?

We are doing 6 days with Tim Morton in Dec this year and are really excited to be making the trip. I'm from San Diego and some of my best memories are from time spent in Baja.

Hey, this must be John I., eh? Good to see a new hombre on here.

Regarding maps and routes they show, so many times roads are shown but are locked at one or both ends.

When it comes to using routes for chase support most guys use the same ones, common ones, smooth ones.

In most cases there will be very little chasing into remote areas. Most chase crew action happens on or near pavement.

If you need to chase into an area to retrieve a bike/rider that's another story and can be really difficult.

If you're doing a rider change in a remote area then there will most likely be shared common info on a route.

Ironmtnracing, your group will have company on the Dec. ride, more guys intent on racing Baja. Check out the ride description on our calendar (I hope I don't get canned off TT for saying that).

Wow, Awsome pictures - Looks like a great ride. I've always wanted to do some sort of ride down there but don't know the area. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Wow, Awsome pictures - Looks like a great ride. I've always wanted to do some sort of ride down there but don't know the area. Thanks for sharing the pics.

No problem... it's often I don't ever take photos. Just am too busy bustin' a wheelie or trying to catch a bit of air off something so small... this time I was intent on taking loads of pics and kept the camera very handy (thank goodness I remembered it).

It was well worth the time to stop and snap some off (oh, and that's not "break some off" :applause: ) with the girlfriend. It was worth every slow minute we rode (it really wasn't that slow - just lots of stops)... A great time for sure.

If you've not ridden the coast route... you need to get with someone (maybe tour?) and do it... so nice, so serene. I even felt bad for riding on the beach in one section and scaring the million Pelicans... and I didn't even aim for'em! (almost like dad was yelling at me in the background - however dad was miles from me on his couch in San Diego).

Memories words can't describe... but pictures do well.

JA, it looks like in some of the pics you were clicking right alongside while taking the pictures.

JA, it looks like in some of the pics you were clicking right alongside while taking the pictures.

Your absolutely right Brian..! :thumbsup:

Reed taught me that trick... he took some of me and the woman, as well I took some of her and them as we rode. Pretty funny to remove the camera (from a pocket), turn it on, and get it in the right hand to snap a pic.... oh, then not crash in the meantime. What was even more hilarious... is using zoom when doing this 'ride along' pics! :applause:

I think it's tougher to get the camera back in the pocket and it zipped up without crashing, or worse dropping the camera!

(the pics with my helmet in the foreground and Stace in the background is also riding along and snappin' a pic)