Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

2-up on a DR650

Recommended Posts

I have been riding on the street for over 18 years. I have recently gotten interested in some offroading, and I am thinking of buying a dualsport. About 90% of my riding is 2-up with my wife. I would like to hear from any of you that have experience with any significant time spent with a passenger on a DR650. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't do it. #1 The suspension is to soft for 2, and #2 if you get caught up in some sand...which these bikes hate with a single rider onboard, you could really hurt yourself and/or your wife. Get 2 bikes, a DR for you and a trailways 200 for her. Much safer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed.

Off-road and 2-up just don't go together.

I'd go so far as to say just put the idea behind you.

A bike that is good off-road will be shocking with a pillion, and the reverse for a big bike that is great 2-up (say 1200 adventure).

J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My DR650SE is great off-road... and on the street, my wife rides with me fine (we are about 270 pounds combined). But when we go off road, she's got her own DR200SE, and neither one of us would have it any other way. You and your wife would both have a lot more off road (and be safer) if she had her own bike. :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would agree with what has been said here, my wife and I ride 2 up all the time but the roughest it gets is gravel roads. I would say if you are looking at anything over a gravel county road to pass on it. That said we love to take the back gravel roads and look at old farm houses old barns and such...it can be some good times together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps some kind of crazy motoX sidecar rig? If you REALLY want to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in an identical position, and just went out and got the DR because it was so much fun. It ain't much of a ride for the pillion standard, but isn't impossible, depending on how big you both are. I put a Ventura rack on, which sits well beind the end of the saddle, and have a BIG sheepskin that covers the little 'rack' on top of the mudguard. Now SWMBO can slide back off the seat an inch or two, and we both have a lot more room. I reckon we'll be OK for a few hours at a go, but haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

We've never had any problems with dirt roads on road bikes, so the DR should be better again.

I wouldn't try anything really difficult off road with a pillion under any circumstances, especially gnarly hills especially up. Doesn't mean I wouldn't go to those places though: as long as she didn't mind the odd walk. The challenge is 95% of the fun, isn't it?

Please keep in mind that we're both just a tad over 62 kg each (137 lb), so we're pretty space efficient. We've also been riding together for a while: just under 20 y.

Remember to tape up the sidecovers if you carry a passenger: mine look like crap from ankle burn!

Later from Dr pig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had quite a bit of experience with this. My wife has a Sherpa for back roads and trails, but we often like two-up for errands and evening rides. I've tried most of the big singles, also the twin GS and a very nice Honda Transalp. Bought a KLR new in 2000. Great MC, but after a half dozen mods to the seat I finally gave up trying to make it comfortable for her (not looking for touring type comfort - just enough she'd consider it for short trips instead of one of the older, bigger bikes). Got the angle and peg positions acceptable, but didn't have enough length without moving onto the rack where weight was unacceptable.

Traded the KLR for a BMW Dakar. She loves it! I've owned an obscene number of motorcycles over the past 30 years including many BMWs, so when she said it might be one of the most comfortable ever I was very surprised! We ride often in the Ozark mountains and as expected the Dakar is impressive to ride solo for about 85% of where I go, but when things get near my limit I feel like I'm straddling a piano! Unless something new comes up, I guess I've given up finding a perfect compromise between trailworthiness and passenger comfort.

Got a new DR a few months ago. Huge improvement over the BMW off road, and more comfortable for my wife on the back than the KLR. I'm still working on some mods, but with the Corbin she finds it quite acceptable for short(er) trips. If you want a real two-up MC you might seriously consider the F650GS/Dakar. My DR isn't so perfect that I'll dump the BMW. I pick DR for for everything other than two-up (including highway!), but for a passenger the BMW is in another league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife does NOT like the pillion on the DR650 (stock seat), so I've kept the GS500 which she likes a lot (heck it's a nice bike anyway...). I'll be ordering a Corbin in the next week or so, and that might bring her 'round to the DR on the street. Part of the prob though is the flat seat - the GS500 has 'stadium seating,' allowing her to see much more comfortably.

We only dared an easy dirt road 2-up once, but I'd join the rest in advising against it in general. Wish I could tempt her with a Super Sherpa or similar, I think that sounds great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback. Let me clarify a little bit. I am not suggesting that we will be tackling any gnarly offraoding 2-up. I imagine that we will ride about 80% on the street, maybe some day long rides, and the other 20% on dirt or gravel roads. I currently have an SV650, and it is so light and nice, that I do not want anything heavier. I am aware of the DL650 or the BMW650, but my idea for getting a dualsport is to get something light, and the bikes in the adventure category weigh about the same or more than my SV. Getting my wife her own bike is simply not in the cards anytime soon. She enjoys riding on back, but is not ready for her own bike. Please keep the feedback coming.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On hardpack dirt roads it will be no problem 2 up on the Dr650, I have done the same many times, gravel you will have to slow it down though. Any sort of long rides on the Dr will call for an upgraded seat however. Corbin seems to be the leader here, as I have heard the Gel seat can make it feel worse. As a plus, if you ever use the Dr for commuting, it is great in traffic, light and easy to get between cars with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I imagine that we will ride about 80% on the street, maybe some day long rides, and the other 20% on dirt or gravel roads. I currently have an SV650, and it is so light and nice, that I do not want anything heavier.

My riding is similar with a little more time off-road. Again, I don't think there's a bike made that I'd consider light off pavement that my wife would consider for a day ride or even a couple hours on back. A good friend has a SV650 that I've ridden quite a bit. Great MC, but I think you've got to consider more than lbs. Just one person's opinion, but of all the motorcycles I've owned (too many!) or tried, the DR is easily best at handling highway and/or a passenger while still being nimble (relatively!) off road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×