Sign in to follow this  

Are there less exposed header pipes?

I totally tweaked my stock header pipe when I layed it down. I noticed that the header was one of the first things to hit on the pipe side. I was wondering if anyone makes a pipe that has a different bend that is less exposed and does not curve out so much, thus exposing it like the stock pipe does. I am having trouble finding info about this online.

Thanks Ray

The header pipe is the length it is for a reason. The X's long header pipe improves low-end torque tremendosly over the "R" type header, which is shorter (doesn't stick out as much).

You could go with a shorter length head pipe that didn't stick out so much, but you would probably not like the change in low end power.

Just ride better!

Thanks a lot for your input. I understand the reason for the length I just want to know if any aftermarket pipes have a more dramatic bend out of the head and have a straighter line that does not curve out away from the engine so dramatically, thus being more protected. Thanks for the riding tip but if you don't crash you are not riding hard enough and crashes happen all the time to every level rider ,I have been riding for 17 years. I am just looking for an aftermarket header that will be better protected with out loosing power. My riding buddy has a drz 400 with a yoshi pipe that has this curve I mentioned above. Please help summer is running out.

ray

Thanks so much for helping. I have seen the carbon protectors but the reason my sotcker failed is because it bent under pressure. I think that this product would be great for roost dings but would ultimatly fail in a crash. You are so kind for your help and I really appreciate your input. I am ultimatly looking for an aftermarket pipe that is just out of the way are these even avaliable or do all of the aftermarket bends follow the factory bend? I greatly appreciate all and any help.

I have the E-line header protector after getting a small dent from just falling over while not even moving. A little pricey but they do work unless its a good crash. Mine got scraped and gouged a few times but a little JB Weld, sanding and painting restored it like new and no more dents in header so far.