Sign in to follow this  

My knees feel like they should be with a 60 year old....

I dont get it, why they would hurt this bad, especially at my age. I went ot the docters last week and they say there's nothing they can do for me. This pain has been going on for about the last year, and knee braces dont seem to work. The only thing that ever really does is when i take about 3 tylonal gel caps, but football starts this week and im planning on at least five miles of running, and 10 200 yard sprints every day for this week. I need some suggestions.

I dont get it, why they would hurt this bad, especially at my age. I went ot the docters last week and they say there's nothing they can do for me. This pain has been going on for about the last year, and knee braces dont seem to work. The only thing that ever really does is when i take about 3 tylonal gel caps, but football starts this week and im planning on at least five miles of running, and 10 200 yard sprints every day for this week. I need some suggestions.

I don't have any answers for ya but I can say that my shoulders pop just going through the motion of doing a millitary press. My knees have always burned, back and shins kill with only light jogging. I have found other exercises besides jogging to do for cardio such as the stationary bike, kicking and punching a heavy bag, doing stairs, knee lifts hundreds of times etc.

For you on a football team you have to do what the coach says so no easy out.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?thread_id=219&topcategory=knee

You may try some products with Glucosamine and Chondroitin.

Glucosamine

One of the building blocks the body uses to make new cartilage.

Chondroitin

Decreases the activity of enzymes which break down cartilage in a joint.

You will find reports that say it only reduces inflammation and no real tests show regrowth from these products but they are natural ingredients that our body uses for our joints. I use to give this to my German Shepherd who had hip Dysplasia. It didn't cure but you could tell she felt better when on it then off.

I have the same problem. Just standing everyonce and a while it will feel like someone stabbed an ice pick in my knee. Also if i stand for more then an hour it feels like my knees are gonna break off. Just sitting here they are aching. And my also said there was nothing to be done. I guess we are just sol.

I have FMS and I've had a lot of success by taking MSM. It takes a while but things don't hurt like they used to.

Ice is my other favorite friend.

Oh, they have supplements with the stuff Lasik mentioned combined with MSM. MSM needs to be taken with Vit C for it to be absorbed.

I used to have the same problem for a few years, and Im only 26. I started at a new gym this year and went to the physical therapist at the gym and showed me a work out for my knees to strengthen the muscle around the knees. When you do squats, leg presses, hamstring curls and a few other machines. He had me point my feet inward and when I went down, he had me stop halfway. My knees have gotten stronger, and Im not having the troubles with my knees like I used to.

You really need a diagnosis based on good clinical evidence such as an x-ray or MRI before you do anything such as exercising because you may cause more cartilage damage. And it won't grow back! Then find a good Orthopedist that treats athletes (hey, where's that Dr. Mark?) and get two opinions on treatment. Good luck.

Are you high school age? Do your knees hurt below your knee cap. That is between your kneecap and the little bone that sticks out at the top of your shins? At your age I had Osgood Shlyder's (spelling?) disease and it seems fairly common with teens. It hurt like heck, but went away after about a year. Go see a highly recommended sports med Doc.

I made a similar comment about my knees a long time ago, except I said 80 year old......

You most likely have Patella Femoral Syndrome. Get on the internet and research the topic. Try the exercises that are mentioned in the most recent articles. Do not rely on a physician, as most are quite uneducated when it comes to biomechanics. They will be glad to take your money.

I had the same symptoms and heard the same comments you are getting 6 years ago. I've been to some of the most famous names in orthopedic medicine (Dr's with surgical procedures named after them), osteopathy, MD's, Chiropractors, etc. to no avail. I didn't start getting better until I educated myself and stopped relying on medical doctors, physical therapists etc.

First of all I would STOP doing anything that aggravates your condition. Continuing with activities that aggravate your knees will eventually get you to a chronic condition. You will develop tonic and hyertonic musculature with an associated loss in muscle conditioning. I myself kept riding and racing until I became so chronic I could no longer walk up and down stairs.

Learn human anatomy, especially the muscles and joints of the hip and leg so you know exactly which muscles are hurting. Stretch your hamstrings, quads, and hip flexors. If weight training hurts or causes burning in your knees, do not continue with the exercise. I hate to use an old cliche, but knowledge is power. Good luck.