Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400 SM Chain Replacement

I have a 05 DRZ400 SM with 10,500 mi on stock chain and sprockets. I am approaching the maximum distance on the chain alignment marks. Time for a change. I race bicycles and we always change the rear sprocket with the chain. Not certain if this applies to motorcycles.

Questions:

1) If I am not mistaken the chain is an O-ring 520 with 110 links. True?

2) Do I need to replace the rear and or front sprocket with the chain? They look fine.

3) Do you need special chain cutting or pressing tool to replace?

4) Which chain do you recommend and does the TT store have the parts?

Thanks and ride safe! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

its good insurance to replace the chain and sprockets at the same time.

When my bike was new i replaced the chain with a premium gold oring chain. I would recommend this because I rarely need to tighten this chain and i ride hard.

Chains can be purchased 120 links and easily cut to size with a chain break tool. You will also need a non clip type masterlnk.You will need to use the proper rivet tool to install the masterlink, but any dealer will do it in 10 mins. The link needs to be done correctly and can cause considerable damage as well as injury if not installed correctly. I have seen some people who have peened the clipless masterlinks with a hammer. This is a bad thing to do.

I am sure the TT store has premium chains.

Rainman007,

Thanks for the insight. :thumbsup: I will go ahead and replace sprockets and chain and just have the shop put the chain on. :ride:

Different chains have different types of master links. You can order any brand of 520 o-ring or x-ring chain in precut lengths including 110, with the master link included with the chain. Very simple install, you can do it yourself. Or you can buy and cut a chain like rainman said.

I agree to replace both front and rear sprockets at the same time. If you change sprocket sizes (# of teeth) you might need a different length chain.

Also a good time to locktite the countershaft sprocket nut!!

I have a DID 520 Xring gold chain, 112 links 15/44 gearing on my SM. Works great, but a special tool is needed to install the chain. Tool is about $80. My local shop let me borrow one to install my chain, NO CHARGE!! Action Motorsports in York PA.

• Like 1

you should never use a clip type masterlink on a streetbike, especially one with a chain guide. If the clip catches the guide at highway speeds you are going to have a historical moment, or maybe your family will. There are so many things that can break that clip and its a risk not worth taking

you should never use a clip type masterlink on a streetbike, especially one with a chain guide. If the clip catches the guide at highway speeds you are going to have a historical moment, or maybe your family will. There are so many things that can break that clip and its a risk not worth taking

:thumbsup: I have always used c-clip type master links without any problem. 450f's,400f's,250f's,250,125,125f,85,65,pw80,50f..

for sure, we use clip types on our mx bikes because its easier to do maintanice, but never on the street

for sure, we use clip types on our mx bikes because its easier to do maintanice, but never on the street

What? No one has ever been injured off road due to a master link failure? Or is it that road bikes don't need maintenance? Do you have any personal experience with this happening or is this just Internet hysteria? I realize that we should err on the side of caution, and it's especially compelling when your audience contains folks asking how to run a dipstick. But the questions stand.

If you run a clip just make sure that it is facing the right way so it can not get bumped off. (the closed end facing towards the direction of rotation) Also make sure that it seats properly when you install it. Look at it occasionally to ensure that it is still there. I have never seen a master link failure in over 30 years of riding so I dont think it is that risky.

Me either.And now with RTV technology, we can glue them down and protect them from damage.

There is absolutely no reason not to run a properly installed clip type masterlink on a bike like the DR-Z SM. Street or not.

• Like 1