Sign in to follow this  

Oil from '06 CRF250R shock normal?

Hello,

I removed my Rear shock from my bike that is new and the shock is slightly oily. At the bottom of the cartridge area, there are 2 holes and there is a slight amount of oil coming out. Is this normal?

It does not seem right that the shock has any oil coming out.

Thanks,

Brian

It does not seem right that the shock has any oil coming out.
There should not be any leakage. I'd suggest taking it to the dealer for inspection. If the bike is brand new, they should check it out free of charge.

By brand new, do you mean never ridden, just out of the box? Because brand new bikes will usually have a slight bit of oil/grease near the seal area on the shaft of the shock. Leftovers from when they assembled the shock. Take a look at some bikes in the showroom sometime.

Have someone who knows what they are looking at take a look at it to determine if it is normal or the seal is actually leaking. Do this before you ride it. Once you ride it, the dealer probably won't want to help you.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, it is new and it has not been ridden. I will have the dealer check it out before I ride. Maybe it is just residual oil, but I never noticed it before on other bikes.

Brian