Sign in to follow this  

02 Husaberg FE400 should I buy it?

A few years back I had a 99 FE400 that I liked alot. BUT it vibrated so much my hands would go numb after a few hours of ridng. Plus it occasionally ran a bit hot and if ran down the road a few miles connecting trails if would cut out and act funny on the road at a certain RPM. But it was great on the trail and offroad.

Does anyone know if they fixed the vibration problem with the later years specificaly the 02 with maybe a flywheel set up?? I am looking at a 02 FE400 but I am not sure if the vibration problem has been fixed since 99.

Any other feedback good or bad on the 02 FE400?

Thx

It's a smooth ride. Price is the thing. 2500 if in great shape and with some gizmos. 2000+ with no gizmos.

Great feedback--Price--This bike has like 250 miles on it but I think your correct on your price target if I bought the bike it would be $2000-2500 max.

**I have read that the 02 FE400 has a counter balance so that would help smooth out the vibration. I dont think the 99 had a counter balance--not sure. ???

I have also heard some scary info about the 01-03 bergs needing the Cam gear replaced if aluminum, Cam chain replaced with old style HD chain, counter balancer that had one bearing needs a update to two bearing... Maybe some of this is related to the big bore 550 -650 bikes. ANy info on this?

400 bergs seem to be pretty decent.not much likely will give you trouble except perhaps the stator.updates are not really that important on this model IMO.dan.

Good info does anyone else have experience with the 99 and or 02 FE400 that can tell me some good and bad about the bikes and the vibration problem ????

Good info does anyone else have experience with the 99 and or 02 FE400 that can tell me some good and bad about the bikes and the vibration problem ????

The 02's have awesome handling characteristics IMO and yes, they are nearly vibration free compared to model year 2000 and earlier. In 2001, Husaberg added a counterbalancer to their motors which significantly reduced vibration.

Log

Thats good info logjump I was thinking my 99 did not have a CB and that it really needed one. The fact that they started using the cb on them 01 might convince me the get another one in the form of this 02 model. thanks for the info.

Anyone else slung a leg over or have any feedback on the 02 FE400?

Good info on the Berg's. I bought a 99 FE501 that has Talon hubs, excel rims and is supermoto'd. Decent shape. Big gun exhaust. Engine looks to have been rebuilt. Was street driven and has a Texas title and inspection tag. Contemplated selling it. But I don't see many Husa's out here and like having a rare bike.

I have been to the husaberg.org site which confuses me actually. It talks about having to do all these upgrades to the 02 400FE.

Cam follower bearings: Break up, enter engine they all go eventually ('02 only). Mine finally went in 3rd season of racing... :ride:

Stator/ignition: This is the SEM ignition used until end of '03. Can be no spark or runs and stall's moments later-see electrical. Stator's can lose varnish, go rusty and crack their plaasticoating. You’re lucky or you’re not! It's heat related (Lineaweaver). Check out this UHE Forum Thread.

Oil leak from cylinder head/rocker cover: Oil seeping around front: Either the breather tube dowel is loose or oil is seeping from head/rocker interface: Plane the rocker cover and and/or the top of the cylinder head as both can distort. For the rocker cover use a pane of glass, P600 wet 'n dry, soapy water and some clothes pegs. Smear the P600 with soapy water and then turn the head/cover 90 degrees every 6 strokes. You can even aerosol spray black paint on the surface to see how it's going.

Camwheel ('02) if aluminium-they wear too quickly so go straight to steel. :thumbsup:

Sprague bearing if you continually start the bike from cold with the leccy boot, the sprague will 'spin through'. The whole system (battery, starter, sprague) was beefed up for '04 and no more problems. Try to start it with your foot and only when warm go to the leccy boot. :applause:

Kickstart seal: oil weeps from the boss even when 10 minutes old! Uprated in ‘03+ to an 'O' ring.

Sidestand plates: Wear oval. Eventually the end hammers a hole in the bottom of the tailpipe.

Clutch pipe: Splits and weeps. One fall, it leaks at top flexy knuckle. Upgraded '03, but can also use a KTM250F pipe.

Waterpump pipe off: Just pops off on left cover. Needs a taller barb/lip. Build up lip.

Yet others have said dont worry the 400 did not have the problems it was the bigger bikes???

Does anyone have a 02 FE400 with some hours/miles on it that can tell us if what if anything I would need to upgrade to make this bike as dependable as a 03 or newer version? Maybe I should hold out and try to find a 04-05 thanks

Thats The Worst Case On Any Bike. We Have An 01 And Its Great. Its Just Has The Usual Problem With The SEM,Which Was Neglected By The Prevoius Owner And Is Now 5 Years Old. The Oil Leak From The Breather Tube Is A Common One,If You Get The Bike And Do The Valve Check It Take About 5 Mins To Un Screw And Refit With A Loctite Solution,Problem Solved. While Your There Remove The Breather Pipe From Frame And Fit A Longer Pipe So It Extends Do To The Chain,So When You Fall Off You Dont Get Engine Oil Sucked Into The Air Box.

'02 Was A Strange Year For Husaberg,The Were Between Factories. Some 02's Had Steel Cam Gears While Others Had Alloy.

The Rockers Only Need To Be Changed When The Top End Sounds Like A Bag O Nails. I've Replaced All The Valves,Cam Gear,Rocker Bearings(didnt upgrade as felt as gentle off roader was not required)Cam,Cam Chain And Fitted Later Style Tensioner Set Up. About A Weekends Work If You Take Your Time. Came To About $350.

If You Know The History And Looks Well Cared For And Its A Good Price I Cant See Too Much Wrong With It.

I'd Take On Board What The UHE Have Said And Only Do Then As And When They're Needed.

Thanks for the input Oliwally- I agree on the fix as needed -Can you clarrifiy this for me? "While Your There Remove The Breather Pipe From Frame And Fit A Longer Pipe So It Extends Do To The Chain,So When You Fall Off You Dont Get Engine Oil Sucked Into The Air Box."

My old 99 FE400 had a crankcase breather tube that ran to the the frame air box and I often found what looked like engine oil in the frame tube and boot. I really think that this was the cause of why it cut out on the road connecting trails unless I was varing the throttle positions.

So are you saying to just take a long hose and run it from the the motor breather pipe connection along the frame (with out pinching the hose)and terminating near the chain?

Basically Yes,I Have Ours Going Very High Then Running Along The Frame Down To The Front Sproket.

I Also Blocked The Hole In The Frame. No More Oil Into The Carb. If You Do Get This Bike I Would Carefully Take Out The Cam Chain Tensioner And See How Much Is Left,Undo The Spring On The Back First. Less Than 5 Clicks To Go Before Full Extended Means New Chain Time,More Than 5 Means Ok For While.

Then I'd Lift The Rocker Cover Off,Takes 10 Mins And Check The Cam Wheel To See If Its Steel Or Alloy,While Your There You Can See What The Rockers Look Like.

I Like Husaberg A Lot As They're Easy To Work On.

Thats Said If It Really Low Hours/Miles Just Play Untill You Find Something.