Sign in to follow this  

ttr250 suspension

hey, i'm new here so go easy on me! i just bought a 04' ttr250 and love it. previously i owned a yz 250. i'm getting older and just wanting to "putt" around a bit more, but i still enjoying hitting the track. the problem i've had with the ttr is the front suspension. it's very soft. is there anything you can do to stiffin it up a bit? i don't have a manual so i don't know what the shocks are "supposed" to be set at but mine are at zero psi. i would assume you could charge them a bit, but i thought i'd ask here before pumping them up to much and blowing the seals. on a totally unrelated note, are there any other gas tanks that fit these bikes? yz? wr? thanks in advance!

it's very soft. is there anything you can do to stiffin it up a bit?

My buddy helped me with tuning the fork to make it work better. I figured while we had the forks apart to replace leaky oil seals, I'd go to a heavier fork oil (10wt) and use 1-1/2 inch washers (5 on each fork leg) to make the spring rate stiffer. Guess what?? It actually worked!! I no longer bottom on 30 ft table tops and I am able to ride more agressive because the front end doesn't blow through the stroke as fast. The valving is still to plush for my riding style though, but the compression and rebound is about right :thumbsup:

i don't have a manual so i don't know what the shocks are "supposed" to be set at but mine are at zero psi.

As a temporary fix, you can run 4 psi in the fork...but it really doesn't help much

on a totally unrelated note' date=' are there any other gas tanks that fit these bikes? yz? wr? thanks in advance![/quote']

No, the YZ and WR tanks do not fit the TT-R they are a totally different set up. Besides, why would you want to lose the half gallon of fuel capacity?

thanks for the replies! i may try charging the shocks first and see what that does. i'm not a big guy (150lbs) so i'm kinda surprised on bottoming out. when you say you put an inch and a half of washers i'm assuming you mean inside the fork?

i am interested in changing out the tank b/c i don't care for the way the ttr tank flares out at the back. it's a knee banger!

I rode my 250 with 0 psi in the front forks for the first 200 or so miles, like that the front couldn't keep up with more than a couple tightly spaced woops. I finally charged them up to about 4 psi, what a difference. It rides like a different bike now, I am no longer losing the front end in the woops.

i'll definetely give the fork pressure route a go. i downloaded the manual and it says they can be charged up to 40psi. is this correct? did you put it to 4psi or 40? also, i'm assuming the screw adjustments on the bottom of the forks are set to factory on my bike, anyone know if setting these to be more rigid helps? thanks again!

4psi, 4psi Do not put in 40 psi, or you will have blown seals and fork oil all over your gaage floor. The screws on the bottom of the forks adjust the rebound/ damping. I left mine alone.

My son is 205lbs and has the same problem with his forks...they are way too soft and mushy. I have run them with 4psi and that helped but the front end still "dives" hard...especially when braking downhill.

It sounds like I need to change to 10wt fork oil to increase the damping, and the washers sound like a good idea also...can somebody give me some more detail on that?

The washers go between the spring and the collar. Going to yamaha's website and looking in their parts diagram (under parts and service) will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I don't know how to post it up here :cheers:. Basically the idea behind that is putting more pre-load on the spring making it stiffer...cheaper than buying new fork springs

The washers go between the spring and the collar. Going to yamaha's website and looking in their parts diagram (under parts and service) will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I don't know how to post it up here :cheers:. Basically the idea behind that is putting more pre-load on the spring making it stiffer...cheaper than buying new fork springs

My buddy owns a machine shop and he made some new collars for me. The stock collar is 53 mm long, I had him make the new ones 68 mm long. That will put a little more pre-load on the springs without having to use washers. They are pretty slick, he took some 6061 T-6 aluminum bar and turned it down to an OD of 37 mm, then bored it out to an ID of 31 mm. Hopefully this and the 10w fork oil will solve the problem...

Another simple mod is to change the oil level in the forks. Especially if you find you enjoy the plushness but dont enjoy the diving sensation. I'd add about 10mL of oil to each fork and test ride it, then maybe add a little more, you will find adding oil makes the stroke of the suspension stiffer higher up in the travel (rather than just off bottoming out)

Just to follow up...I installed the new longer collars and changed out the fork oil with 10w. I have the oil level at the factory specification and 4psi of air.

The forks are now much, much better...thanks to everybody for the tips!