Sign in to follow this  

Oil question

Not to open a pandoras box here... I want to run Rotella-T in my bike, but I am having a heck of a time finding the synthetic (blue bottle) around here(So-Alberta).

I can find the white rotella-t and the Sb only. Where are you guys finding it in Alberta?? I've gone every where I can think of.

Is anyone running the white bottle??

Thanks.

Not to open a pandoras box here... I want to run Rotella-T in my bike, but I am having a heck of a time finding the synthetic (blue bottle) around here(So-Alberta).

I can find the white rotella-t and the Sb only. Where are you guys finding it in Alberta?? I've gone every where I can think of.

Is anyone running the white bottle??

Thanks.

Hello MotoDaddy,

There is tons of threads in the CRF450R forum on this oil and they say not to bother running the synthetic as the regular petrolum version is excellent.

Personally I just run the regular Rotella-T. I wouldn't waste money on the synthetic. The regular Rotella-T outperforms viturally all synthetics. Just change it more often.

I buy my Rotella in 20-litre pails at Canadian Tire.

The only benefit you can get from using the full synthetic Rotella is perhaps some longevity. The synthetic base oil will normally last longer than it's dino counterpart.

However, we need to change our oil out long before we wear it down.

Too many contaminants are in a shared sump oil, and changing it out frequently is key.

The Rotella T 15w-40 is a proven winner and is very inexpensive, especially considering the price of the full synthetics and boutique moto specific oils.

Btw...Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic is actually an organic oil. It has simply been hydrotreated into a more consistant molecular structure than the group II organic oil.

Castrol synthetics are also hydrotreated dino oils, but they have a court case that has allowed them to call hydrotreated organic oils "synthetic". So, everyone else does this too.

But they are not PAO (polyalphaolefin) or ester based true syntetics like Mobil1 or Maxima.

Any good oil will do the trick if it's changed often enough.

Have you read your manual on how often you need to (NOT) change your filter?

Thanks for the responses guys... I've got the rotella-t in the garage now.

This is my 1st foray from the 2 stroke world to the 4 sroke world and there's a bit of a learning curve, but I'm enjoying it. :thumbsup:

Kinda like when i bought my 1st VW TDI ...there's a whole nother oil (can) of worms.

teemgreen's ride is going to last him.

Not many folks, who think they absolutely have to run $10-12 quart moto specific oil, are going to change out their fluid that often.

And them running a high dollar synthetic for two or three times longer (usually much more), is doing nothing but helping their bike throw craps before teemgreen's ride does.

So how often are you guys changing the filter??? Every oil change?

I try and change my oil every ride but no more than every two (Amsoil 10W40). I have a ReadyRace oil filter and always clean it when changing my oil.

Considering that each track day for me is about 1.5 hours due to the break up in motos, I'd say its getting plenty of good fresh stuff to drink.

I am pondering going with Rotella due to all of the great things I've heard here and to the excellent price point. I have a few more quarts of Amsoil to use up and probably will after that.

I'm thinking of switch to rotella also in my 450 ,would this be a good oil to run in the tranny for 2 stroke also?

I'm thinking of switch to rotella also in my 450 ,would this be a good oil to run in the tranny for 2 stroke also?

Yes... you can use it in your 2-stroke trans...

Many use it in the trans side of of the CRF's...and like or love it!!!

I work at a shop an own a few coal trucks an we use rotella for everything. Good stuff an i can get gallons of it free so thats what i run. I change it about every 10 hours.