Sign in to follow this  

Dimpled valves??What the....

At certain flow velocities and fluid densities (Reynolds Numbers) you get less drag by disturbing the boundary layer (the fluid next to the surface) and changing it from laminar flow to turbulent flow. So just like a golf ball has dimples to create a turbulent layer I guess it can work with valves too-even though I hadn't heard of it before either.

I also remember reading about this,I like the ad too."valves should be replaced every 20 hrs". :thumbsup:

At certain flow velocities and fluid densities (Reynolds Numbers) you get less drag by disturbing the boundary layer (the fluid next to the surface) and changing it from laminar flow to turbulent flow. So just like a golf ball has dimples to create a turbulent layer I guess it can work with valves too-even though I hadn't heard of it before either.

I can see the significance of creating turbulence for intake gas, but the exhaust valves are also dimpled. What would be the benefit of having turbulent exhaust gas?

I’ve never heard of these either. I would think the car guys would know something about them. It’s an interesting idea.

The turbulent vs. laminar question only applies to the boundary layer of gas or fluid that runs directly over the surface in question, not to the entire volume of gas moving through the port.

all I hear is blah blah blah blah. I have no idea what you guys are talking about. But that is why I am still in school and you guys aren't.

But I wonder if Yamaha of troy really does change there valves every 20 hours. Sooner, I would think.

i saw a demonstration one time of a golf ball without dimples, made with the same materials and construction, they hit it with a iron byron, its a machine that can duplicate exact swing speeds, the smooth ball flew 150 yards and eratically, a dimpled ball flew 280 straight as an arrow, almost twice the distance. i dont know how much it would help flow, but there is a real difference somewhere.